The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watched the video. A lot of worthless shit in that collection
That's surprising (not that I doubt you). Why have 1,000 pieces of worthless shit when you could instead have 30 great guitars?!

Is the video still accessible somewhere?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The video is still present in the link. I'm curious as to where the nicer guitars in that collection ended up. Here's a link to what looks like a list of the collection (most of, if not entirely).

SURREY GUITAR AUCTION - Guitar Auction - Page 1 of 5 - Able Auctions

W.
Thanks. There's so much embedded-video advertising that I tend to skip over it without looking, missed the video in my link above.

Scott, I dunno about "worthless shit" - I didn't see any chubby-inducing treasures but there were plenty of potential players there among the junk. Hope some folks got some good deals!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looks like a lot of low to mid range guitars. Nothing particularly collectible, but it seems like a decent place to score a players guitar or a project for tinkering.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
The only things I saw in that listing worth much of their salt were a couple of '60s/'70s Gibsons (mostly SGs) and maybe the odd higher end Harmony or Matsumoku guitar. Most of it... yeah, pretty cheap fare.

W.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's surprising (not that I doubt you). Why have 1,000 pieces of worthless shit when you could instead have 30 great guitars?!

The story was posted a while ago, the guy had mental health issues that manifested itself in basically uncontrollable buying of guitars, kind of like hoarding. He couldn't help himself every time he saw a guitar for sale.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
The story was posted a while ago, the guy had mental health issues that manifested itself in basically uncontrollable buying of guitars, kind of like hoarding. He couldn't help himself every time he saw a guitar for sale.
That's clear for sure. I would suspect he was picking up the vast majority of that in pawn shops for under $200

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Correct. There was a news article on him only a few weeks ago. I believe he was bi-polar which often results in this kind of activity.

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
Given the location, I checked to see if my blonde Epi Windsor that was stolen from me in Victoria around 1987 had ended up there. But, no such luck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've only met one other guy like this, and not quite to this scale, but they're out there. I've bought a pedal and an amp from him, so he tends to rotate his gear a bit at least.

His house is so full of guitars and amps that there's no where for anything else; he has an entire room so full of hard shell cases that you can't even get into it, and the cases all have guitars in them!

He says he's a collector, but a lot of his instruments are a weird mix of low end and high end; $50 strat knock offs and $3000 Warwick basses! I've only been to his place twice, but it's mind boggling. His pedal collection is another thing; he has entire racks of boss gear, ehx and a bunch of others and he won't part with any of it even if he own 6+ of the same pedal. It absolutely blows my mind.

I get the whole collector thing when it comes to high end or vintage instruments, but having 15-20+ strat knockoffs is just hoarding.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
I've only met one other guy like this, and not quite to this scale, but they're out there. I've bought a pedal and an amp from him, so he tends to rotate his gear a bit at least.

His house is so full of guitars and amps that there's no where for anything else; he has an entire room so full of hard shell cases that you can't even get into it, and the cases all have guitars in them!

He says he's a collector, but a lot of his instruments are a weird mix of low end and high end; $50 strat knock offs and $3000 Warwick basses! I've only been to his place twice, but it's mind boggling. His pedal collection is another thing; he has entire racks of boss gear, ehx and a bunch of others and he won't part with any of it even if he own 6+ of the same pedal. It absolutely blows my mind.

I get the whole collector thing when it comes to high end or vintage instruments, but having 15-20+ strat knockoffs is just hoarding.
I thought I was out of control when I had reached about 10 guitars and 3-4 amps.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I thought I was out of control when I had reached about 10 guitars and 3-4 amps.
This guy has at least a dozen amps in his living room. I estimated his guitar collection to be near the 200 mark. There were guitars he owns that he had literally not seen in years. That absolutely floored me. My collection of basses and guitars can fit on two 7 guitar stands.

·
Registered
983 Posts

That's the diference between a collector and a hoarder. Though most, if not all, hoarders consider themselves collectors.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I looked at the lot and I could count the guitars I'd be interested in grabbing on one hand... and even then only if I could get them really cheap...

Basically, what a pile of junk...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts