The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at either the fralin blues special, suhr v60lp or fender texas specials for a project strat. What are the pros/cons of each one? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Can't speak for the others but I have the Fralin blues specials in one of my strats and they sound lovely....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Where did you get them? I can get them through US mail order for about 280cdn when you factor in the the exchange, shipping and the USPS/Canada Post fee and gst. 12fret quoted me 300 dollars and then I would have to pay gst/pst and shipping. So at least 360 from them.

A no brainer as they are both mail order. The US dealers are not allowed to discount.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Try Ted at Guitar Parts Canada, cost was 280.00 Cdn shipped I believe. There is a small wait period for them, approx 2-3 weeks. Get the base plate on the bridge pickup, for $10 it is well worth it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have the texas specials in my mij strat, cant say I like 'em, they are muddy and lack sparkle, they do however provide typical strat tones...I need to try them in a band situation on a dimed tube amp before I decide if i will change them

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey Screem I have them installed in a late 80's MIJ strat and don't find them muddy or dull at all. They have a real chimey clean sound on mine could be just the guitars.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I familiar with the Texas special only... nice PU, round with more bite... what are you looking for tone wise and what are the woods in your project strat?

If I may suggest... I was very surprised with the Dimarzio Blue Velvet, nice round tones, smooth with sparkle, excellent clean tone chime that translated very well to just barely overdriven sparkle. For me however it was the medium overdriven tones that just sound amazing... better than any single I've heard yet. I have the active version of the PU that Dimarzio makes only for EBMM. They are in a Silhouette Special that is all maple. They compliment the guitar perfectly, for my taste anyways. An otherwise brite guitar is now round and smooth with perfect top end sparkle.
Like anything else it's subject to your likes and dislikes... I've been playing Seymour Duncan PU's for years and likely would never have looked to Dimarzio for a single coil... their Distortion humbucker is very cool one of the better Distortion PU's IMHO but I usually turn to other "brands" for singles.
I also have a YJM strat and along with getting YJM tone this strat sounds Great. They have a vintage vibe going and because they are stacked buckers they are quiet...

Khing

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I've posted this in the dealer emporium but I really like ACME guitarworks in the US for ordering certain brands of pickups.

As for Texas Specials, they don't seem to have that chime I'm looking for. The other thing is they have real strong magnets and need to be extremely low in the guitar or they really start tugging on the strings.

So that said I'd go with the Fralins between your two choices.

My completely different suggestion is the following: Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs in the neck and middle position and a Seymour Duncan Antiquity I Texas hot in the bridge. Smokin' combination, they do SRV very well.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a mightymite body though I am unsure as to the wood, it is the standard one they sell. The rosewood neck is a lacedo (or lacido) not sure about the spelling, apparently they were made in quebec. It has (had) a super distortion and paf humbuckers from dimarzio in them but with 2 gibson les pauls, I want a change. I have an 82 japanese made fender strat (62 reissue) and was looking for a similar sound. The guitar itself is bigger/heavier than the ash bodied strat. The Acmeguitar website has sound profiles of the fralin blues and texas specials. The suhrs were recommended by a local store that sells them. I have not heard them.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right now I have a seymour duncan single coil that was taken out of my strat and replaced with the stock 1982 that it came with. The SD is from around 1990 or so, and is a Mark Knopfler model they used to sell. Very clean nice sound. I am going for a slightly dirtier sound with this guitar and the fralins blues and the texas ones seemed to have the slightly higher output that provide it....But I am open to suggestions..

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to mention that I corresponded with miketurkpickups.com from near Toronto and his pickups sound like they would be a good match as well. Any one chime in with a word on his stuff?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The nice part about the Fralins is if you contact him with what your looking for he'll help you out. I've also heard good things about the Suhr's but never tried them ...yet!

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Davestp1... sounds like a pretty cool guitar in it's own right... have any pics or am i just missing the ones already posted. Let me know if you want to sell the Dimarzios in the future.

Khing

·
Registered
788 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
As for Texas Specials, they don't seem to have that chime I'm looking for. The other thing is they have real strong magnets and need to be extremely low in the guitar or they really start tugging on the strings.

Jeff
you describe mine to a "T", my SCN's have way more sparkle and chime, I have the TX sp. to the deck on the neck and middle because of said string pull of the likes I've never seen:confused-smiley-010

To add to this, the guitar has a thick sound of a well worn strat and wood that's been in the shape of a guitar for 17 years.

I will keep them though as they have their own sound, I'll just pick up another MIJ RI with different pups :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
photo...

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/davestp1/?action=view&current=IMG_0301.jpg

My four guitars. I am also looking at a 62 or 57 replacement fender neck for it after the pickups are changed. I am considering a maple fingerboard. What are the differences in feel between a rosewood board and maple anyone? I've never had one but am curious about them.

From left to right are the partscaster, a 92 stock gibson les paul standard, a 78 stock gibson les paul custom and a 1982 japanese made 1962 reissue fender strat, (april 1982) I have since the photo was taken put a green period correct guard and aged parts on it. The guard in the photo is an aftermarket as the original was carved for a humbucker in 1984.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:

My completely different suggestion is the following: Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs in the neck and middle position and a Seymour Duncan Antiquity I Texas hot in the bridge. Smokin' combination, they do SRV very well.

Jeff
I had very harsh intonation issues with the Texas Specials..I have the seymour duncan antiquity's and they sound awesome..I also have bypassed my tone controls(I never use them) and my relic is very chimey SRVish.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Acme

Jeff Flowerday said:
I've posted this in the dealer emporium but I really like ACME guitarworks in the US for ordering certain brands of pickups.

Jeff
Yes... ACME is awesome but unfortunately they cant( They Tried) to get the Kinman line of pickups on their prefab pickguards. Kinmans I think are the best single coils around.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would recommend Bareknuckle Pickups. I would suggest either "apaches" "mothers milk" or "irish tour" set for a rock application. look at their website and message board. many owners post clips of their guitars. I have a set of their humbuckers and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
single coill pups

the hottest single coil pup made is the gretsch dynosonic.
they are priced at $180.00us ea., but are worth every penny.
if you are installing them in a strat, you may have to do some routing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts