The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
just found a Simpson Sears Model 26131 guitar amplifier while we were cleaning out deceased Auntie's basement.
Printed on the front plate 9 watts 117 V.
2 control knobs, 2 parallel inputs.
Original 2 prong plug.
Plugged it in and it works.
My first question:
Would anyone have information or specs on this model?
Does it change the collector value if I switch the plug to 3 prong?
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Hey, that was my amp and post.

I sold mine about two years ago, when I officially ran out of space. I had a dozen solid state practice amps that were nice to have, but really, how often did I get to use then, or even get at them.

That amp was Canadian made, and not very loud. It acted and sounded like a Champ. At about half volume it started to overdrive, on its way to fuzz.

It sold surprisingly quickly to a non-player who collected Sears artifacts.

As for collector value, I think it’s an arbitrary value, depending on the individual. I think I paid $20, had fun with it, serviced it, and got a quick $50 bill, within a couple of days.

If you don’t have much gear, and like the way it sounds, it can be a priceless conversation starter when guests come over. Just about every guitar freak had to plug into it when I had it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, that was my amp and post.

I sold mine about two years ago, when I officially ran out of space. I had a dozen solid state practice amps that were nice to have, but really, how often did I get to use then, or even get at them.

That amp was Canadian made, and not very loud. It acted and sounded like a Champ. At about half volume it started to overdrive, on its way to fuzz.

It sold surprisingly quickly to a non-player who collected Sears artifacts.

As for collector value, I think it’s an arbitrary value, depending on the individual. I think I paid $20, had fun with it, serviced it, and got a quick $50 bill, within a couple of days.

If you don’t have much gear, and like the way it sounds, it can be a priceless conversation starter when guests come over. Just about every guitar freak had to plug into it when I had it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This Sears with 12 watts input power may gives 3-4 watts audio output
Thanks for your details. They are very helpful.
The one I have says "9 watt" instead of "12 watt" as on your model. I was looking for a bit more info.
Just wondering nostalgically for the specs from Sears factory, and the exact year of manufacture- that's just the amateur archivist in me.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I tried a deep dive into getting more details a few years back. Best you can do is look up the manufacturer, Ahed. See what their years of being in business were, and try to extrapolate from that.

From what I think that I remember, very early 70’s makes sense.

If you really want to know, find old store catalogs and do a search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts