The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Current set up. This is based on moving everything around 100 times. And trying a lot of different pedals. I’m a working musician playing in multiple bands and genres of music.

Vavulator > mini bi comp (to get a lot of my funk sound)> pink purple fuzz (use this for a lot of rock> Tone bender mk2 (in the mail) >keeley Katana clean boost > timmie > 1980’s Ts10 JRC4558D chip

See amps below - I use my timmie Cochran as always on pedal. To push my amps close to breakup. Allowing me to cut bass or treble depending on the guitar I’m using. Slamming the front end with a clean boost for a little bit more aggression.

I use my pink purple fuzz for those classic rock, hard rock, hard blues stuff. (Still with the timmie on, as it sets my volume and “clean tone” for volume friendly gigs. And just ride my volume for leads. Will be using the mk2 with the timmie same idea.

Questions: timmie placement as a always on. Would you keep it on when using the fuzz’s/distortions. If so any advice on cutting the mix with a solo. I find when the timmie the pink purple and the ts10 are engaged I start to loose some sharpness

Goals: timmie to set EQ and base volume. Use the ppf on top of the timmie for those gainer songs. And advice on cutting the mix for solos with the pedals above. Any other advice on signal chains.

I know this is a lot of personal preference. I just want to know yours and what’s working for you

I run the Allen accomplice JR wet > stereo early 90’s Victoria bassman. Timmie is always on switching between my vintage 69 special and strat. I like the opinion being able to cut mids or bass. This way I can set my amps and leave it, and use the timmie for more of my EQ without loosing amp tone

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Too complex for me, but if looking for a service to build an amazing setup with all kinds of flexibility, call Mike at Nice Rack Canada (in Toronto).

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Don't listen to my opinion.

Sell it all, and get a Wah.

IMO, there is a lot of overlap there. The Vavulator is a buffer right? I think the BiComp has an output buffer already, as does the TS10. The TS family (to me) is a clean boost (can be), the timmie is (can be) a clean boost, the katana is a clean boost. I do like running TS family pedals at the end of the drive chain because I think they really shape tones well, I just seem to get more usable treble with them, and great buffers too. I think that a TSx into your Timmie with it all set up so volume on your guitar at 7 is in the sweet spot will still leave enough in the volume knob to have solo presence, provide tone shaping and boost when required.

The BiComp is a great compressor, I would consider integrating it into an always on effect (on the Ross side) and then the OS side when needed. Personally, I have run my Ross before and after my ODs just to see and it is 100% related to how you need to control your stage volume.

Cant comment on the BearFoot, haven't owned one, looks cool though, particularly the 4 knob version. However, I don't have much luck feeding fuzz onto OD, I usually OD into fuzz. In all fairness, I have never found a fuzz I liked with a fender tube amp, its likely just me.

Last thought, as the Accomplice is basically a deluxe reverb, I would check out how Trey Anastasio set up his rig in the pre 2000's. Essentially, it was OD->OD->Compression>DR and a bunch of bypassed effects. Seems like something you may be interested in.

Good luck, trim the fat.

C

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
My fave:

1) Guitar, cord, amp

Nice if the amp has parallel/series FX loop adjustable In & Out. And channel switching.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
My fave:

1) Guitar, cord, amp

Nice if the amp has parallel/series FX loop adjustable In & Out. And channel switching.
That's what I'm doing as well (although sometimes a wireless replaces the cable).

Maybe 'amp' isn't the right description though, as mine has billions of bits running around inside a microprocessor, basically doing everything most any amp/pedalboard combination can do. And channel switching? Got that too, though I'm limited to a mere 625 channels, which is OK because my memory runs out at 3 or 4% of that.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Vavulator > mini bi comp (to get a lot of my funk sound)> pink purple fuzz (use this for a lot of rock> Tone bender mk2 (in the mail) >keeley Katana clean boost > timmie > 1980’s Ts10 JRC4558D chip
Questions: timmie placement as a always on. Would you keep it on when using the fuzz’s/distortions. If so any advice on cutting the mix with a solo. I find when the timmie the pink purple and the ts10 are engaged I start to loose some sharpness

Goals: timmie to set EQ and base volume. Use the ppf on top of the timmie for those gainer songs. And advice on cutting the mix for solos with the pedals above. Any other advice on signal chains.
That's a lot of gain pedals. Stacking pedals is fun, but when you have so many, that's a lot of tone controls in each step shaping the overall sound a lot with each stomp of a switch.

If I were you, I'd basically go with what you have in your "Goals" section above. Put the Timmy in the middle of the chain to get "your sound". Gain it up with your pink purple fuzz in front. For solos, put something after the Timmy to give a boost in volume and shape it a bit to cut through the mix. You won't be able to sound like every single record, but you can sound like you with a few different variations.

I've tried a bunch of pedal stacking, some OD pedals with expression (which is actually kind of fun), and a few other things to get various levels of gain. But I'm finding what actually works best for me is to set my gain pedals to my lead tone, then roll back the volume on the guitar for rhythm, and even further for clean. It works best with a pedal that is touch-sensitive and responds like an amp, or just using an amp. With the right drive section, the overall volume of the amp doesn't change that much, and usually the difference in overall level can be quite suitable for switching between lead/crunch/clean. It works better with some guitars more than others. If a particular guitar gets too muddy when trying this, try an inexpensive (and easily reversible) treble bleed mod.

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
Optimal pedal order is set by asking yourself a few key questions:
1) Is there anything whose best performance depends on having a big dynamic range in the input signal?
2) Is there anything whose primary function is to subtract frequency content?
3) Is there anything that will significantly increase audible hiss?
4) Is there anything whose best performance depends on receiving a signal level hotter than some given level, or possibly cooler than some given level?
5) Is there anything that one associates with "studio" or post-production sound?

Answer those and shift stuff around to get the best response to each question. I'll just add that one shouldn't assume that EVERYTHING is going to be on all at once, and be hemmed in by that.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Zackly. I have a tele and Deluxe reverb. One basic "sound" but what a great sound.
It's not too bad having extra stuff set up in the studio, but when I play live it's a $100 guitar, a $20 cord, & a $400 amp. (Extra cord for the sound-man and a loose tuner.) The guitar isn't even in a case.

Less gear = more fun. Less expense = more fun.

The icing on the cake is you-want-a-roadie-find-someone-else. Gig over, Kapn gone. Lol.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FE61ED8E-60B7-46FE-9420-36FA3F39C931.jpeg

IMO, there is a lot of overlap there. The Vavulator is a buffer right? I think the BiComp has an output buffer already, as does the TS10. The TS family (to me) is a clean boost (can be), the timmie is (can be) a clean boost, the katana is a clean boost. I do like running TS family pedals at the end of the drive chain because I think they really shape tones well, I just seem to get more usable treble with them, and great buffers too. I think that a TSx into your Timmie with it all set up so volume on your guitar at 7 is in the sweet spot will still leave enough in the volume knob to have solo presence, provide tone shaping and boost when required.

The BiComp is a great compressor, I would consider integrating it into an always on effect (on the Ross side) and then the OS side when needed. Personally, I have run my Ross before and after my ODs just to see and it is 100% related to how you need to control your stage volume.

Cant comment on the BearFoot, haven't owned one, looks cool though, particularly the 4 knob version. However, I don't have much luck feeding fuzz onto OD, I usually OD into fuzz. In all fairness, I have never found a fuzz I liked with a fender tube amp, its likely just me.

Last thought, as the Accomplice is basically a deluxe reverb, I would check out how Trey Anastasio set up his rig in the pre 2000's. Essentially, it was OD->OD->Compression>DR and a bunch of bypassed effects. Seems like something you may be interested in.

Good luck, trim the fat.

C
Yeah the valvulator is a tube buffer, but changes high impedance to low.

This is what I have come up with for now. Compression always on, minimal compression, enough to keep my high/low volumes mor consistent. Then the katana clean boost to push the amp into the edge of break-up, also always on. The pink purple for more overdriven/heavy gain fuzz type sounds. Or the timmie for more of a bluesy break up And just the katana and comp for more clean sound. . I will stero a 62 gibby RVT 19.

Tweed with a Allen accomplice jr. let the sound man make me loud.

I’ll have It set so the volume on my guitar is 6-7. Giving me room to roll up for leads.

Only other thing I think of is maybe switching the timmie and the katana around. Using the timmie to push the amp into the edge of beak up. Allowing for the bass and treble cuts for changing guitars. Then using the Pink purple on top for heavier stuff. And the katana at the end for a clean volume/headroom boost?

I love the sound of gain stagging when using vintage amps.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good luck, trim the fat.

C
I will give some of your ideas a try and get back to you on how it all worked out.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a lot of gain pedals. Stacking pedals is fun, but when you have so many, that's a lot of tone controls in each step shaping the overall sound a lot with each stomp of a switch.

If I were you, I'd basically go with what you have in your "Goals" section above. Put the Timmy in the middle of the chain to get "your sound". Gain it up with your pink purple fuzz in front. For solos, put something after the Timmy to give a boost in volume and shape it a bit to cut through the mix. You won't be able to sound like every single record, but you can sound like you with a few different variations.

I've tried a bunch of pedal stacking, some OD pedals with expression (which is actually kind of fun), and a few other things to get various levels of gain. But I'm finding what actually works best for me is to set my gain pedals to my lead tone, then roll back the volume on the guitar for rhythm, and even further for clean. It works best with a pedal that is touch-sensitive and responds like an amp, or just using an amp. With the right drive section, the overall volume of the amp doesn't change that much, and usually the difference in overall level can be quite suitable for switching between lead/crunch/clean. It works better with some guitars more than others. If a particular guitar gets too muddy when trying this, try an inexpensive (and easily reversible) treble bleed mod.
Yeah I had way to many od pedals going. Thanks for the advice. I’m working on simple simple pushing the amps. Investing more in amps then pedals

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Have you considered a good all in one unit?

My fractal FX8 made my life much easier for touring. Two cables (until the bi-amp rig), a lot of options for control and a portable, solid piece of hardware.

Might be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I have 6 OD pedals and 3 compressors hooked up and ready to go. But that's spread over my 3 analog pedalboards, which I only use 1 of at a time.

If you choose the pedals wisely, two OD's, one cascading into the other, gets me all the different gain levels I need (mind you, this is into a 2 channel amp, where there is that extra Ch 2 gain option as well).

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome. I re arranged and loving it right now. Essentially, I’m using my bi-comp into the clean boost (katana). This is a great always on clean channel, just on the edge of breakup. These two front load either my pink purple (for high gain crunch) or my timmie as a light crunch, (clipping option on the toggle) got rid of the TS10.

It’s been simple, quiet in terms of pedal noise. Very transparent sound. Organic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts