The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I liked the longhorn head stock on the Ernest Tubb D35 but some people who owned the guitar said it weren't nothing special. As for sig guitars generally, they're not really something that I'd want although if it was a good guitar that happened to have a sig I could always cover it up with green painter's tape,

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
TimH, whose sig. model is that? Dave Grohl? I dig the colour... what are the filtertrons like on that? And are they TVJones?
Chris Cornell. The pickups are Lollartrons...to my ear a bit more of a hybrid between the PAF and Tron.

·
Premium Member
11,416 Posts
Sig guitars are like factory relic guitars to me. I would never buy one specifically because of it but if a guitar I liked was either sig or relic'd, I wouldn't not buy it just because of that.

In other words, I don't really care either way. It's less relevant than the color, which is second to the top of my 'irrelevant' list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, TimH. Cool guitar. I'm a fellow St. Thomasian (St. Thomasite?--not sure about the nomenclature).

I have had a few "Signature" models, but bought them because of the model features and not the signature. I have a Brian Setzer SSLVO (Signature Series Lacquer Vintage Orange). It has a V neck, locking tuners, Schaller straplocks and a "pinned' bridge. I took off the autograph guard, dice knobs, and trussrod cover. For me, it's a comfortable guitar that's reliable. I also had a Duane Eddy signature, which I eventually sold to someone on this forum. I had a Johnny Marr Sig. Jaguar in "knockout orange." Couldn't bond with the short scale. I also have a Jimmie Vaughan Signature stratocaster, which I love. Nice soft- v neck, if you are into that sort of thing.

What was my point? I guess I'm saying that I'm all for signature models if the features work for me. Let's face it, if we are honest, at some point in our lives we bought a guitar because one of our heroes played one. Especially true when I was a younger fellow. How many Gretsch guitars did George Harrison sell? How many fiesta red strats did Hank Marvin sell?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
It is funny how I don't consider a Les Paul a signature guitar even though it has his name right on the headstock.

Same with vintage Gibson Nick Lucas guitars from the 1930s or Gretsch Chet Atkins 6120s.
In my mind those names have become synonymous with the guitar models and are no longer signature guitars.

Strangely enough we have modern signature versions of Les Pauls and 6120s now...

·
Premium Member
9,354 Posts
For me, it depends how ostentatious it is...an Eric Johnson strat? Sure, why not.
A zakk Wylde Bullseye? Looks a little too fanboy-ish. Cool on a wall, but I wouldn’t play it outside.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I've been silently following this thread and I must say @guitarman2 I'm looking forward to you posting some pictures of this bad boy, I'm genuinely excited on your behalf. More often than not when I'm getting a new guitar I'll also face a self imposed, arbitrary arrival to me date. That waiting period makes the big day that much sweeter.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Draft dodger...

;):Do_O
I know your comment was in jest but it got me wondering... I found this on WIKIPEDIA:
Sanders falsified his date of birth and enlisted in the United States Army in October 1906, completing his service commitment as a wagoner (teamster) in Cuba. He was honorably discharged in February 1907 and moved to Sheffield, Alabama, where his uncle lived.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've been silently following this thread and I must say @guitarman2 I'm looking forward to you posting some pictures of this bad boy, I'm genuinely excited on your behalf. More often than not when I'm getting a new guitar I'll also face a self imposed, arbitrary arrival to me date. That waiting period makes the big day that much sweeter.
I never "self impose future dates to receive anything gear related unless I'm financially forced to wait. However in this case with this being the first ever guitar that my wife has bought for me after 33 years of marriage and being a 60th birthday present I figured to make the occasion special I would wait for my birthday. We plan on going to the music store together to pick it up on the 24th.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts