The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any lap or pedal steelers here?

Here's my Asher Ben Harper lap steel. Sort of a cross between a Weissenborn and a Les Paul. Sounds amazing but I really need to learn how to play it better. :banana:

·
Registered
274 Posts
thats a nice setup. I don't play slide myself, but I want to say I say Bob Egan a week ago (steel player from blue rodeo) and he was GREAT. Not a huge fan of his solo acoustic songs, but he is an awesome player, and his pedal steel playing was unbeleivable

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
I was given this cheap little Artisan for Fathers day last year. I subsequently replaced the pick up with an EMG SA and relocated the output jack to a more ergonomic location. I don't use it a lot, but it's the bomb for doing slide stuff.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Milkman said:
I was given this cheap little Artisan for Fathers day last year. I subsequently replaced the pick up with an EMG SA and relocated the output jack to a more ergonomic location. I don't use it a lot, but it's the bomb for doing slide stuff.
I've been thinking about getting that one. For the price it seems alright, I was thinking about doing the same mods too. Well maybe a different p/u.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Rumble_b said:
I've been thinking about getting that one. For the price it seems alright, I was thinking about doing the same mods too. Well maybe a different p/u.
Yup, the pickup is a cheap strat style. Also as I mentioned, the output jack needs to be moved. The only way it could be more in the way is if it were on the neck, LOL. It's not hard to move of course.

Also, I'm going to replace the nut (mine's made of rosewood).

The body itself resonates amazingly well though so the instrument CAN be made into something worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Milkman said:

QUOTE]

Looks like a cool little rig. The cool thing about lap steels is they don't have to be expensive to sound good. Just the right pickup (and player) is all you need.

Pete

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Sneaky said:
Milkman said:

QUOTE]

Looks like a cool little rig. The cool thing about lap steels is they don't have to be expensive to sound good. Just the right pickup (and player) is all you need.

Pete

True enough. Action isn't a factor and that makes it easier to make them cheaply.

Still, I wouldn't turn my nose up at an old Fender or National.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts