The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... had someone ask me to build a boat paddle guitar, and I always had plans for a shovel guitar so figured might give it a try.

Saw some vids online... Looks pretty basic and simple.

Where I was lost and didn't see much info about what for 2 things.

1) Scale length - Just use the same as a guitar? ukulele? etc?
2) Strings/Bridge Radius - Straight across and flat? or is the middle (3-string) a bit higher?

I've been looking at 36" boat paddles, thinking if I used a Gibson or Fender scale length, I'd have about 10-12" left over which I'd need for tuners and where the strings attach.

Anyone know the answers? Anyone here ever build a paddle/shovel 3-string before?

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Bow paddle needs longer scale. Stern paddle needs shorter scale.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know there are different names... I been searching boat paddle or canoe paddle... was hoping to get something a bit shorter, but looking at cigar box guitar builds, I see 23" and 25" used quite often so... I guess a 30-36" paddle is needed.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Good to know there are different names... I been searching boat paddle or canoe paddle... was hoping to get something a bit shorter, but looking at cigar box guitar builds, I see 23" and 25" used quite often so... I guess a 30-36" paddle is needed.
Sorry. i was joking.

[The front seat of a canoe is at a wider part of the canoe, while the back seat is narrower and also sits slightly deeper in the water. For this reason I have always preferred a "fender" paddle in the bow and a "gibson" paddle in the stern.]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts