The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's a pretty versatile builder, and willing to explore things that others have left alone, like field-coil speakers in his amps. (For the young'uns, field-coil speakers do not have a permanent magnet, ceramic, alnico, or neodymium. Rather, they use a coil to magnetize conductive material, just like you did with wire and a nail in Grade 6 science class.

One guitar Amagras, Greco, and I saw at the Guitar show in Ottawa a couple years back was a sort of "corduroy" guitar, where Mike had eroded some of the material between the rings on a hemlock body. Compelling look. Corduroy

Mike's also one of the few builders that uses Lace Alumi-tone pickups on many of his guitars.

And while he's not as old as some of us "elder statesmen", he's actually much older than the guy interviewing him.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
He's a pretty versatile builder, and willing to explore things that others have left alone, like field-coil speakers in his amps. (For the young'uns, field-coil speakers do not have a permanent magnet, ceramic, alnico, or neodymium. Rather, they use a coil to magnetize conductive material, just like you did with wire and a nail in Grade 6 science class.

One guitar Amagras, Greco, and I saw at the Guitar show in Ottawa a couple years back was a sort of "corduroy" guitar, where Mike had eroded some of the material between the rings on a hemlock body. Compelling look. Corduroy

Mike's also one of the few builders that uses Lace Alumi-tone pickups on many of his guitars.

And while he's not as old as some of us "elder statesmen", he's actually much older than the guy interviewing him.
I haven't seen a field coil used on a modern amp yet. Thats cool!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts