The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed at the local pub that they rinse the glass before pouring my draft into it. I thought that this was just to rinse out any residual soap that might happen to be in the glass so as not to contaminate the beer. However a friend of mine said no, it was so the beer wouldn't foam up as much. I thought that that was why they poured it down the side of glass. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I suppose the premise is that the glass with a layer of water on it is smoother than the dry glass (not sure if that's true but it's possible). If the beer is being poured over a smoother surface, there's less friction and less foaming. The glass tilt reduces foam from the splashing that would occur pouring down to the bottom of the glass. Both actions resulting in less foam but for different reasons.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Over the long run, they are essentially serving watered down beer and save money.
I dont think you need the extra 3 ml of beer!

Reactions: RBlakeney

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I remember back in the 80’s a buddy was taking the hospitality program at the local college. He was taught to always fill a draft glass to the bottom of the white line. Going past it, even to the top of the line was a rediculous amount of beer over the course of a keg. I forget the amount. An extra 2-4 or something.

*I just ran the numbers on that and it’s a couple glasses at most. 105 pints in a Canadian Keg.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Reactions: cboutilier

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I was in the San Francisco craft brewery that is housed in the old wire/cable manufacturing company. They talked about why they wet the glass, and it made sense at the time. I kind of remember that it was not straight water, but rather something like what you do to a wine bottle before you bottle it.

I can’t remember what they said anymore. A little homework and a phone call might refresh my memory. Their sample glasses were very generous portions and the place was loaded with young people.

I was the old guy at that brew house.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It don't matter wet or dry the bartender always gives me 2 inches of foam and charges me $8.50 for domestic. Then she expects a tip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts