The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another psycho goes on a ramage and kills one and injures 19 in a school.

WHY do we insist in having his face and name all over the front pages of the paper, TV and internet?

Are we not granting these bastages the fame many of the crave and by doing so, ensuring that others will follow their lead?

Why don't we just call them "the gunman"?

It's a matter of supply and demand. When we as consumers stop lapping this crap up the media will in all liklihood stop shovelling it.

I make a point of NEVER mentioning the names of the guys who killed Lennon or Dimebag.

Your opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Some would say the absolute opposite, citing the way young offenders act works to hide the identities of young criminals..........

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Accept2 said:
Some would say the absolute opposite, citing the way young offenders act works to hide the identities of young criminals..........

I think the difference is that I would not propose that killers receive leniency. It's a matter of not granting them bizarro stardom. I also understand the public's right to know, but I think there's a morbid hunger for details regarding the killer's life and what made him tick and blah blah blah.

It just bothers me that every year on the anniversary of Lennon's murder his killer's name is once again spoken and printed all over the media.

He doesn't deserve to be remembered.

Lennon does.

Same goes for this most recent incident in Montreal. Anastasia was slaughtered by a complete stranger. Her name will likely be forgotten but his will be repeated and remembered.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
So, would you apply that to all criminals like the YOA does? The YOA is great because your next door neighbor could have been 17 and raped a bunch of 4 year olds, and you would never even know about it. I say plaster all criminals faces and names everywhere so you know who they are. Put a tattoo on their forehead.............

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah but this putz is dead. Let him stay dead. let the psychologists have a field day. Let the psych students read about him. Don't give him glory in his and others suffering.

Anastasia died for no reason at all other than some sick f*ck hadn't the guts to comfront his demons. He went to a school and shot children for the glory of going down in a hail of bullets.

He was 25 time to get over high school. He was an adult. At least he is dead.

My friends have kids that go to Dawson. My daughter has frineds with older siblings that go there. It's now a scary place for them.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Accept2 said:
So, would you apply that to all criminals like the YOA does? The YOA is great because your next door neighbor could have been 17 and raped a bunch of 4 year olds, and you would never even know about it. I say plaster all criminals faces and names everywhere so you know who they are. Put a tattoo on their forehead.............

Do you not see the downside of turning guys like this into folk heros?

Some other sick f%#k is right now reading all about this guy and imagining himself becoming a martyr to the cause of insanity.

It's not like this guy is going to find it easier to commit more crimes shielded by anonymity (he IS deceased).

Do you think the piece of crap who killed Lennon should be a media celebrity?

If you do, that's ok I guess.

I don't.

·
Registered
546 Posts
He should be gone from the news. We don't need a trial. Thank God.

Clifford Olson, Willie Pickton, and the rest of them should be dead also.

There is a morbid fascination with these sickos. It's hard to explain, but had he lived someone would have shown up at the jail and married him.

It's tough he was bullied and felt different and had a sh*tty life. He blew all that though. He grew up to be dead. And took someones child with him.F*ck him and his problems.

Selfish POS.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
elindso said:
He should be gone from the news. We don't need a trial. Thank God.
Clifford Olson, Willie Pickton, and the rest of them should be dead also.
There is a morbid fascination with these sickos. It's hard to explain, but had he lived someone would have shown up at the jail and married him.
It's tough he was bullied and felt different and had a sh*tty life. He blew all that though. He grew up to be dead. And took someones child with him.F*ck him and his problems.
Selfish POS.
...while i doubt that the police had much choice but to shoot the guy, i don't see the point in celebrating his death. one of the reasons we don't have capitol punishment in canada is that we believe that killing murderers makes us no better than the murderers.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
david henman said:
...while i doubt that the police had much choice but to shoot the guy, i don't see the point in celebrating his death. one of the reasons we don't have capitol punishment in canada is that we believe that killing murderers makes us no better than the murderers.

-dh
Rreports indicate that he was wounded by the police but took his own life.

I don't celebrate anyone's death, but I think his dying saved him and society lots of money and time.

Capitol punishment? That's another issue, but I personally have only ONE problem with executing murderers.

What happens when our justice system makes a mistake? With such highly visible cases as we have seen where people have been jailed for decades and later found innocent, I just can't justify the risk that we would execute an innocent person.

Other than that, I would have NO compunction with throwing the switch on a killer. It's like putting a rabid dog down. Sometimes you have to do it.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Milkman said:
Other than that, I would have NO compunction with throwing the switch on a killer. It's like putting a rabid dog down. Sometimes you have to do it.
...i have some qualms about killing people. i just think we are capable of better than that. at other times, i think i simply ended up on the wrong planet, because killing each other appears to be what earthlings do best.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
david henman said:
...i have some qualms about killing people. i just think we are capable of better than that. at other times, i think i simply ended up on the wrong planet, because killing each other appears to be what earthlings do best.

-dh
Well, as much as I tend to be very softhearted I'm of the opinion that once you take a life in the process of committing a crime, yours is forfeit.

Again though, I don't support capitol punishment because I don't think we are at the stage where we can be absolutely certain we're executing the right person.

Executing ONE innocent person is enough to make it a bad thing in general to me.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Milkman said:
Well, as much as I tend to be very softhearted I'm of the opinion that once you take a life in the process of committing a crime, yours is forfeit..
...probably, but i'm not sure that we humans, flawed as we are, get to decide who lives and who dies. but i want you to know this isn't about compassion. i want to see somone like paul bernardo live as long as possible and suffer as much as possible. you know, just in case there is no afterlife, and death, in effect, is therefore a (rather undeserved) reward.

-dh

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bad News

The sad reality of the world is that Bad News sells...and its all about money and ratings.............the focus is always on what went wrong today or whats going wrong............small wonder all these berserkers are running around looking for their 15 minutes of fame..
Id like to see all the news networks worldwide report nothing but good news for a day................it wont happen though because we seem to feed off misery.
Ray

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Correct. Its a pull system, not a push system. You require fans to be famous. Its not a secret the word fan is derived from the word fanatical. I cant tell you the name of the guy who killed Lennon. I also dont remember the name of the shooter at this college. Why? It's just not something I'm fanatical about. I can recite the lyrics to alot of Lennon's stuff though. We choose what we want to remember, because we deem it to be important. Want it to go away, start tuning out........

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Accept2 said:
Correct. Its a pull system, not a push system. You require fans to be famous. Its not a secret the word fan is derived from the word fanatical. I cant tell you the name of the guy who killed Lennon. I also dont remember the name of the shooter at this college. Why? It's just not something I'm fanatical about. I can recite the lyrics to alot of Lennon's stuff though. We choose what we want to remember, because we deem it to be important. Want it to go away, start tuning out........

Well, my memory doesn't work that way. If I see, read or hear someone's name five or six times, I know it, plain and simple. I don't want to remember it, but if I say the word blue, blue, blue, blue blue over and over in this thread (well, like I just did) and I ask you what color I mentioned a week from now, surely you're not going to tell me that you can't remember it.

If that's the case, with all due respect, you may have a memory problem.

My complaint is that we collectively seem to treat real tragedies as entertainment, the ultimate reality television.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts