The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old Lifco 630 amp. i'd guess 40 years old. i can't identify the circuit used. it doesn't match any of the popular circuits of the time. i'm working on drawing up a schematic of it, but that's another story...

last night i took it apart to be able to see the transformers (they're on the back when installed in the cab), and found this transformer:

It seems to work well enough, but it's a bit misshapen, and at least one wire has torn up through the outer layer of paper. Should I be replacing it immediately? or just leaving it alone until it really starts having problems?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I've got an old Lifco 630 amp. i'd guess 40 years old. i can't identify the circuit used. it doesn't match any of the popular circuits of the time. i'm working on drawing up a schematic of it, but that's another story...

It seems to work well enough, but it's a bit misshapen, and at least one wire has torn up through the outer layer of paper. Should I be replacing it immediately? or just leaving it alone until it really starts having problems?
Leave it! It'll be just fine!

The actual coil winding is made up of wire insulated with a "shellac" or enamel coating. As it leaves the coil the larger insulated hookup wire is soldered on to it and then you have the paper overall wrap.

So all that's happened is the hookup wire has torn through a bit of that overall paper. Who cares? It has nothing to do with the functionality.

Unless you put too many country notes through the transformer! These can gum things up and start to ooze out. If this already has happened you should play a bit of John Lee Hooker or in extreme cases with vintage transformers some Dominic Troiano/Mahogany Rush at high volume. This should clean things out nicely! :smile:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Unless you put too many country notes through the transformer! These can gum things up and start to ooze out. If this already has happened you should play a bit of John Lee Hooker or in extreme cases with vintage transformers some Dominic Troiano/Mahogany Rush at high volume. This should clean things out nicely! :smile:

:food-smiley-004:
***killin himself laughin***
Another fine example of the scientific basis of electronics.

I'm really glad that I'm such a big blues fan....science is now on my side (thank goodness as that is about all that is on my side)

Wild Bill: Do guitarists in Nashville have a lot of problems with their transformers.....as compared to....say...Mississippi? Just curious.

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Were you able to draw up the schematic for this amp?
I have one and we're trying to figure out what is what so we can fix it up or possibly modify it.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts