The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling a guitar on Kijiji. Should I reply to the following response I recieved? o_O

Im interested in your tele, why you sell it? Is it straight? Serial number? Proof of purchase? Can you ship with c.o.d. ?

L

·
0 Posts
At least it's not the kijiji automated I'm interested. Is it still available? lol.

It may be legit. I see no reason not to respond.

why you sell it? because I want to
Is it straight? yes
Serial number? MX06***** (eg)
Proof of purchase? no or yes
Can you ship with c.o.d.? no

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Your next question should be, "where would it be shipped to?" My guess it's somewhere in Africa. I certainly wouldn't ship it though.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Cut the inquirer some slack. Not everyone and their cousin has used kiiji, or purchased a guitar sight-unseen from a distance. They're naive questions for many of us here, to be sure, but we aren't a reliable sample of the whole world, and there are no entrance exams for either being a seller or buyer on Kijiji.

I might point out that many ads I see on Kijiji actually address those questions in advance, largely because the seller is not accustomed to selling anything on-line, or may know little about gear. These will often be the same sort of seller who looks at the back of the amp, sees the rating for power consumption, and lists that as the output power. That's how those teeny student amps with 8" speakers get posted as "34 watts". Or the person lists a Strat knockoff as a "red guitar", without reference to anything else about it.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
While I do agree with @mhammer generally, I think that is cutting the inquirer a bit too much slack in this specific situation. It could be a scam (high probability IMHO) - requesting COD is a big red flag; not conclusive, sure, but any person with half a brain should know that is a risk a seller will likely not be willing to take. And if they are too dumb to realise that (or just ignorant due to inexperience and not stopping for a second to just think it through before asking) , then it's probably the sort situation where you spend 2 weeks emailing back and forth 4 times a day and then they bail on the sale because they are a noob and they got scared (the first smart thing they'd have done).

That said, responding like @laristotle suggested - short and to he point, shutting down the COD immediately and asking for the person's location is not a bad move - hedges yer bets. Depending on their reply you either continue or just stop responding.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Technically it means CASH on delivery...which I would be less concerned about than cheque or money order or whatever on delivery. I'm not sure if any carriers will even accept cash any more. A few years ago I dealt with Purolator (I think) and they wouldn't let the driver take cash.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
No sir, No C.O.D. ("Cash on Delivery") !

I myself got an uncommon offer through eBay last week from an outsider :
"Would you ship to another address in Canada ?"
I was aware this could happen and is generally considered a red flag.
Note : I mention in my ad that I would not ship outside Canada because of CITES regulation.
I suggested it would not be cautious to leave a solid wood acoustic "somewhere" (dry and cold ?),
so that I could keep the guitar secured where it lyes in my home awaiting for him to get by.
The guy added he lives overseas and comes around here on vacation every summer to visit relatives.
The address would be to a relative's home, so the guitar would be in a secure place.
He had to get in touch with these relatives. I myself know a guy living that same situation.
Well, eBay and Paypal would cover this under certain conditions the guy seemed aware of,
and this would take a couple of days to manage the official changes to be done.
I had mixed feelings about that but my guess was the guy was trying to get over CITES.
I finally had another interested guy so, I told him I could not withdraw my ad...
He answered he would wait... Been a week or so, got no news...
P.S. I searched his nickname on the web and found a guy (thanks twee..) who could match his words...
but who knows if the match is real ? My own nick on the tube accidentally matches someone else's name...

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
What does that even mean?

Is he asking you to ship the guitar and he will pay when it arrives?

F that.
It's how we did things for decades, before there was Paypal, and before people gave their credit card numbers over the phone or on websites. C.O.D. involves the registration of the item by the carrier, and is neither "We'll trust the guy to pay us whenever", or "we'll take a personal cheque at the door". It's less convenient, yes, but the parcel delivery service that brings your item to the buyer's door and collects the money before forking the item over, is no less trustworthy in that transaction than the place you order from and fork over your credit card information. Bear in mind, as well, that there are plenty of people who simply don't deal with credit cards, for whatever reason. Before I retired, we had a maintenance guy at work who was heavily into ham radio and electronics. We'd shoot the shit occasionally, and trade electronics info or site links. The poor bastard lacked both a vehicle and a credit card, so getting parts was a real trial for him. He couldn't order from out of town, because that required a credit card, and he couldn't zip around to get parts from any local distributors (with ever fewer of them left as they defer to on-line components distributors).

Certainly keep an eye open for any mischief, whenever engaging in financial transactions online, but the world has more underinformed people than it has criminals.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
One should always proceed with caution and this set of questions is not the cleanest that the sender could have used. But:

- COD offered by CP is a real service and it works
- don’t discount an engaged buyer just because they can’t drive 2000 km to pick up your instrument
- have a real conversation, establish trust, cover yourself with info, but don’t just succumb to random paranoia — that is just as irrational as being a sucker
- I’ve bought number of things remotely on Kijiji and sold a few; all you have to do is spend a little effort to establish trust; the most frustrating people are those that have been trying to sell for weeks or months, have me as an interested at asking price buyer, but they are completely paralyzed by fear; there is a guy in Quebec that has lost 30% of his asking price so far this way just because he can’t get past “ooh, shipping, they will eat my brains” and has to keep dropping his asking price on every repost whereas I had offered his way-back asking price plus shipping with EMT prepayment a couple of months ago and then tried again a few times before giving up

Summary: use your head to both not become a sucker, but also to move forward.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
reply all you want but don't ship it COD, ...heck I'm surprised this got posted for discussion and that you didn't make the 'NO' call on your own

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
One should always proceed with caution and this set of questions is not the cleanest that the sender could have used. But:

- COD offered by CP is a real service and it works
- don’t discount an engaged buyer just because they can’t drive 2000 km to pick up your instrument
- have a real conversation, establish trust, cover yourself with info, but don’t just succumb to random paranoia — that is just as irrational as being a sucker
- I’ve bought number of things remotely on Kijiji and sold a few; all you have to do is spend a little effort to establish trust; the most frustrating people are those that have been trying to sell for weeks or months, have me as an interested at asking price buyer, but they are completely paralyzed by fear; there is a guy in Quebec that has lost 30% of his asking price so far this way just because he can’t get past “ooh, shipping, they will eat my brains” and has to keep dropping his asking price on every repost whereas I had offered his way-back asking price plus shipping with EMT prepayment a couple of months ago and then tried again a few times before giving up

Summary: use your head to both not become a sucker, but also to move forward.
Sage sage advice. Nice post.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Don't ship it C.O.D. as the others are stating. The buyer has a trust (or financial) issue and doesn't want to pay until he sees it at his door. Don't ever do business when there is a trust issue - ever. If there's a trust issue the only way to deal is face-to-face. Be polite - but make some rules and stick to them.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I would reply this way. "What is your phone number. I will call you." If he gives you his phone number he is likely interested. If not, he is 99.99% a tire kicker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts