Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 77.3%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got my first REAL telecaster...well 51 Nocaster relic actually...a month or two ago and after a neck pickups swap (Twisted Tele) I am head over heels.

I've always been the kind of guy who wants just one guitar all night. And traditionally I've played strats. So I'm thinking of having a luthier route this Nocaster for a middle pickup. After playing an American Pro FSR today at L&M I think the three pickup Tele might just be the ticket.

I know the value of the guitar would go down. I don't plan on selling her. If anything I might move along my Silver Sky (gasp!) if this scratches the same itch.

Aside from value is there really any downside here?

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
I voted no but only because thats what would be best for me. Its your guitar and you can do with it what you wish. If you want to mod, knock your self out. I have a Relic Masterbuilt Nocaster and I wouldn't touch it. I do love those twisted tele pickups and I'm going to keep my eyes open for another Tele that I can put a pair of TT pickups in.
It briefly crossed my mind to put a middle pickup in mine. I don't ever plan on selling my guitar either. But I just couldn't bring my self to do it. Likely I'm going to look around for a decent parts caster with the right neck on it for me to do these mods to.
I'm also a player that likes to play the same guitar all night at a gig.
I spent many years back in the 80's and 90's modding guitars constantly. I finally started just buying guitars that I like just the way they are. I think its more prudent to just use a parts-caster to do the experimenting with and customizing. This way you won't lose value on your CS Fender.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Can a pedal or two not get you what you want versus "altering" the guitar?

The only reason I ask is tastes change and while you currently don't plan to sell the Tele now, tomorrow is another day, and losing value would suck.

But it's only money and if that doesn't bother you then go for it...do what makes you happy!

Edit: I voted no because if it were me I wouldn't.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aside from value is there really any downside here?
Only you can answer this question.
I've got a Tele with the TT neck and Broadcaster bridge and am totally happy.
I played a Strat for 10 years before the Tele and while I liked the neck pickup on the Strat,I wasn't enamored with the middle or bridge.
My vote would be play it stock.
There's lots of tones to be had in the stock Nocaster.
You could get a Strat style pickup that will drop into the neck,but then you lose the TT.
Follow your heart.
It is just a guitar after all.

·
Premium Member
17,387 Posts
It's your guitar, do what you want.

But I would do a ton of research first.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can a pedal or two not get you what you want versus "altering" the guitar?

The only reason I ask is tastes change and while you currently don't plan to sell the Tele now, tomorrow is another day, and losing value would suck.

But it's only money and if that doesn't bother you then go for it...do what makes you happy!

Edit: I voted no because if it were me I wouldn't.
If there'a a pedal that makes your guitar sound like the 2 or 4 position on a strat I think the builder of said pedal would make a mint!

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Ye gods no. First it just looks weird. Its such an iconic guitar. Second, adding a middle pickup will add weight, change string pull, remove wood. It will sound different. Third, nashvilles "sort of" sound like a strat, but if you've got a silver sky and you're anything like me, its not going to be good enough.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I would say, become a 2 Guitar kinda person and keep it as is. But if you must, make sure you can still do neck/bridge. I pull pot would allow for this and a 3 pickups.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I'm all for upgrading guitars, but something like this will not only decrease its value, it will also eliminate 75% of your potential buyers.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If there'a a pedal that makes your guitar sound like the 2 or 4 position on a strat I think the builder of said pedal would make a mint!
Fair point...I don't even own any pedals but assumed that they are the magic sauce that players use to make a guitar/amp do whatever their heart's desire. My bad.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Maybe this is a good way to force my hand into not being so flip floppy lol
You're not the first person to have that plan either, in 3 months when the time comes to sell you'll kick yourself for modding it. I'm not judging... just been there, it's the nature of a gear whore! :)

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Ye gods no. First it just looks weird. Its such an iconic guitar. Second, adding a middle pickup will add weight, change string pull, remove wood. It will sound different. Third, nashvilles "sort of" sound like a strat, but if you've got a silver sky and you're anything like me, its not going to be good enough.
I don't think I've ever seen a Nocaster with a middle pickup and I agree with you it would look weird. For me a more modern looking tele doesn't look so bad with a middle pickup. I've had Telecasters with the middle pickup. And it isn't the same as a strat but close. I like it but for me it would have to be in a second guitar, not my main guitar.
As for adding weight, it would be negligible. I certainly never noticed that the guitar all of a sudden became a boat anchor once adding a middle pickup.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
I'm all for upgrading guitars, but something like this will not only decrease its value, it will also eliminate 75% of your potential buyers.
For a Nocaster I'm thinking it would be more like 80 to 90% of buyers. Although for a deep, deep discount I'd be tempted.
If you're someone like Brent Mason who pretty much butchered his guitar (although it was sort of butchered when he bought it) but keeps them forever like he has, then do what you want. It wouldn't matter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think I've ever seen a Nocaster with a middle pickup and I agree with you it would look weird. For me a more modern looking tele doesn't look so bad with a middle pickup. I've had Telecasters with the middle pickup. And it isn't the same as a strat but close. I like it but for me it would have to be in a second guitar, not my main guitar.
As for adding weight, it would be negligible. I certainly never noticed that the guitar all of a sudden became a boat anchor once adding a middle pickup.
Yeah the weight is going to be nothing. Remove wood, add a single coil. The difference can't be more than an ounce.

Personally I wouldn't be offended by the look of a guitar like this at all:

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Yeah the weight is going to be nothing. Remove wood, add a single coil. The difference can't be more than an ounce.

Personally I wouldn't be offended by the look of a guitar like this at all:

That is pretty freakin cool.

·
Administrator
16,733 Posts
I've modded lots of things but I've always stayed away from anything that involved removing wood. If it were a Classic Vibe, maybe, but just no to a CS. You WILL want to sell it eventually.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts