The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of gear. I am wondering if it is financially better to keep it for another 10-15 years or sell it and bank the cash now? I don't need the money, and would use it as a savings vehicle. But maybe in 10-15 years it won't be worth much. Or maybe if I sell a bunch and bank it inflation will greatly reduce the value of the money. It's not a whole lot, maybe $20K.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It depends what the equipment is.

Only select things are going to increase in value, and very few will increase in value above inflation.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think there is going to be a glut of used guitars and equipment in the coming years as old guys start selling off their stuff/estate sales. People will continue to play guitar in limited numbers but the “Golden Age of Guitar and Guitar Music” is over.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
The only thing you have for certain is the past so probably best to move it now because next week could be a shit storm.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Is any of it collectible? Seriously collectible?

If not, sell them off.

I'll take the $20k if its not much :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's mostly all nice stuff. Old and newer Gibson, Fender, and a pile of pedals. Some of the gear from the 60's 70's and up. Mostly in great shape, but not NOS great. Some newer amps- a couple of Bruno Underground 30 combos and a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme combo...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You’ll always be able to sell Gibson’s and Fenders (unless they’re really ugly). The other stuff has a finite lifespan.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Just don't get too excited about how quickly your investment will grow...

The "Rule of 72" is a simplified way to determine how long an investment will take to double, given a fixed annual rate of interest. By dividing 72 by the annual rate of return, investors can get a rough estimate of how many years it will take for the initial investment to duplicate itself.

The best guaranteed GIC rate I could find quickly was about 3%

72 divided by 3 = 24 years.

On the brighter side, GIC ROR can change for the better and reasonably quickly.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I have it on good authority that, in the very near future, all those/us 'aggressive conservatives' will be dying off. And we all know only AC's like good gear, snowflakes tend towards cheap modeling and SS stuff.

So get out now, while the gettin's good.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
856 Posts
So get out now, while the gettin's good.
So when I was a kid, stuff like model T's were big bucks, a couple decades ago stuff like oil lamps and depression glass were big bucks, a few yrs ago 60's musclecars were big bucks.
Far as, "collectable stuff"; the market is when old people with disposable income remember their youth and want reminders, nothing else.
Quality will always have a market, albeit a Very select and discerning market so take a Hard look at your stuff.

So, ya, while truly not trying to sound like a dick, dump the crap while someone's still got cash for it, hang onto the stuff that you want.
Just don't confuse a personal collection with an investment being my point.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
So when I was a kid, stuff like model T's were big bucks, a couple decades ago stuff like oil lamps and depression glass were big bucks, a few yrs ago 60's musclecars were big bucks.
Far as, "collectable stuff"; the market is when old people with disposable income remember their youth and want reminders, nothing else.
Quality will always have a market, albeit a Very select and discerning market so take a Hard look at your stuff.

So, ya, while truly not trying to sound like a dick, dump the crap while someone's still got cash for it, hang onto the stuff that you want.
Just don't confuse a personal collection with an investment being my point.
+1

I quit thinking of my gear as investments, especially long term investments, the day after I got rid of all my Blockbuster stock.

As much as I'd love a 50's LP, if I was holding one I'd feel like those guys who paid more than the price of a house to buy a tulip in Holland a few hundred years ago. Crazy shit happens every now and then. We just can't see it except in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
a couple decades ago stuff like oil lamps and depression glass were big bucks,
My Fatherinlaw has a buttload of that stuff. We told him to get rid of it before he dies. He laughs and says it’s our problem...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts