The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,768 Posts
After having 10 basses in and out over the past 18 months, looking for my best fit and sound, I've found 1 primary and a couple other I'll keep long term. I wouldn't move any of those 3 for any reason short of extreme sudden poverty. You either love your Suhr, or it's just another piece of gear imo. Only you can decide.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
I've heard good things about these, but never owned one. I get that there might be too much of a stigma with "Squier" on the headstock for some pros to use them, and in those cases I think a MIJ Tele is a fantastic value. That said, if Russell Broom can rock his Squier Jaguar kijiji purchase of $200 on stage and in studio, why can't everyone else? :)
IMHO the CV line is on par with the high end MIM Fenders, low end MIA, and the MIJ fenders. They blow the MIM Standards out of the water. Only downfall is the thinner necks for guys that like fat necks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
IMHO the CV line is on par with the high end MIM Fenders, low end MIA, and the MIJ fenders. They blow the MIM Standards out of the water. Only downfall is the thinner necks for guys that like fat necks.
I bought a CV Tele for my son a year ago. He stopped playing and now I'm having fun with it. I really like the small neck, maybe more than my Ibanez AM-93. Been practicing with the Tele a lot lately.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After having 10 basses in and out over the past 18 months, looking for my best fit and sound, I've found 1 primary and a couple other I'll keep long term. I wouldn't move any of those 3 for any reason short of extreme sudden poverty. You either love your Suhr, or it's just another piece of gear imo. Only you can decide.
Yeah...and maybe it's just the way my brain works but loving the guitar and having a reason to move it along aren't mutually exclusive. Mostly because I have one pretty good strat I can't get rid of. I feel a bit of tension between having this strat I just won't reach for if the Suhr is around...where as if the Suhr turned into a Tele or Gretsch I'm reaching for those two guitars for very different reasons.

Now, another option is to swap pickups in the strat/Suhr so they're different enough to fill different purposes. I'm considering making the Strat a 'Tron or H/H guitar and the Suhr SSS.

Either way I feel a need to resolve the tension...

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I'm not but some of the people who pay me money are...but maybe I just tell them to take a leap lol.
Keep the Suhr. About 5 years ago my collection was pushing close to 30 guitars, yet there were a select few that I usually played. So I started selling & consolidating via trades (i.e. 2 good guitars for 1 great instrument) and am very happy - I'm firmly in the "fewer better" category & have no regrets about the instruments I've moved along. Would like to trim the herd a little further, but it's getting hard to know which guitars to cut loose.

Re: Teles, a Strat bridge pup with a baseplate will get you closer tonally, but if you MUST then +1 on the Squier Classic Vibe/used MIM.

This being said, the only conceivable reason to buy a guitar just for the look is if you're in a tribute band of some type.

If anything, get an SG. That should piss off the country & the church crowd in one fell swoop.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Now, another option is to swap pickups in the strat/Suhr so they're different enough to fill different purposes. I'm considering making the Strat a 'Tron or H/H guitar and the Suhr SSS.
Turn the guitar your wife bought you into HH (should already be routed for that) and trade the Epi LP for a Tele or pedal board.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Strat player here for many years and picked up a CV Tele last summer for my son and I really like it.

Agree on the expressiveness of the Tele. I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
For anyone who cares here is how this is panning out. The collection is now as follows:

Suhr Classic Antique Custom w/SSS
Fender Strat w/SSH or HH
Gretsch Elliot Easton (needs pickups)
CV Tele (need to trade Epi LP)
Taylor 210ce (great deal at Cosmo blow out)
Boogie Lonestar Special (also via Cosmo)
Line 6 Helix

Still have a few things to sell off and minor tweaks to deal with but I'm feeling quite good about all this. Thanks for all the opinions!

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
For anyone who cares here is how this is panning out. The collection is now as follows:

Suhr Classic Antique Custom w/SSS
Fender Strat w/SSH or HH
Gretsch Elliot Easton (needs pickups)
CV Tele (need to trade Epi LP)
Taylor 210ce (great deal at Cosmo blow out)
Boogie Lonestar Special (also via Cosmo)
Line 6 Helix

Still have a few things to sell off and minor tweaks to deal with but I'm feeling quite good about all this. Thanks for all the opinions!
I hope my CV praise does you right. If you like the neck, you'll love the guitar.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've played enough of them to know I won't LOVE it...but it's going to be the last guitar in the line up so I think I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
I've played enough of them to know I won't LOVE it...but it's going to be the last guitar in the line up so I think I can live with that.
The thin neck is the only part of my Tele that I would ever consider changing. It's probably going to get swapped for a TMO-V or TMO-FAT at some point.

For me, a big part of getting the CVC was the price and appearance. When I bought it, I wasn't privy to the amount of online vendors for bodies and necks. I loved the double bound look, and there's a big gap in Fenders lineup for double bounds. Your options for a bound burst are basically CVC, then a ~$2800 MIA, and finally the $4k+ Custom Shop '60 Custom.

I've played the CS one a few times, and it is lovely, but it's way out of my financial range. Plus I have a personal moral issue with artificial relic jobs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts