The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to round out my guitar collection to cover the bases I actually play in. For reference I am a paid professional in the Christian/Church world and a weekend warrior with some country acts. Here's my current stable of gear:

Suhr Custom Classic Antique (HSS or SSS available)
American Standard HSS w/Suhr Electronics throughout
Gretsch Elliot Easton w/Filtertrons
Epi Les Paul MIK with stock electronics
Alvarez Slimbody Acoustic/Electric
Line 6 Helix
Vox AC15 w/Blue
*High End Partscaster incoming with SSS configuration

The things I'd like to have at my disposal:
Tele
A better acoustic
Deluxe Reverb
A small pedalboard

Ok so if you read all of that you'll see I have 3 nice strats one being a Suhr worth about $3kCDN. It's easily the nicest guitar in the stable and the most enjoyable to play. However, $3k can fill a lot of gaps in the arsenal and my other strats certainly aren't shabby. BTW, I absolutely can't get rid of the American Strat...it was a wedding gift from my wife in 2002 so I just can't move it....well unless I get a black Suhr strat and pass it off as the same axe with a new neck...lol...but let's run on the assumption I have to keep that one.

What is a boy to do? Should I move on from the Suhr or go without some other things I could really make use of?

And before I get a pep talk about first world problems or that I've got a lot of bases covered...yes, I know that! That's not what I need here. Some perspective on high end pieces IS what I need lol.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Just my opinion, i would never invest a fair amount of cash in just one instrument just cause i like to have a few instruments that i dont mind gigging and not having to worry about instruments being dropped, stolen etc..... Get what makes you happy i say. You can always buy an expensive guitar later down the road. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If the suhr is the most rewarding to play and you gig it, keep it. Sell the gear that gets the least love.
Totally agree. I would rather have one outstanding guitar and play the crap out of it then have a bunch of average guitars that you play once in a while. YMMV

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I would not sell my favourite guitar unless I absolutely have to. However, you are the one that has to make that decision.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I'd have to custom order that axe...I'd want it set up for Nashville 3 pickups and a trem...

$$$$$$$$
With 3 pickups and a trem you basically have a single cut strat. Unless you're really partial to the Tele aesthetic, like myself, I'd just put a Tele bridge pickup in one of your Strats to give it some extra twang.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With 3 pickups and a trem you basically have a single cut strat. Unless you're really partial to the Tele aesthetic, like myself, I'd just put a Tele bridge pickup in one of your Strats to give it some extra twang.
I'm not but some of the people who pay me money are...but maybe I just tell them to take a leap lol.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you love to play the Suhr Strat and don't mind leaving that much $$$ on a stage, then keep it. But otherwise, you do have a lot of bridge-humbucker equipped guitars. The Epi Les Paul also seems a bit redundant, unless it's more for the aesthetic, but it alone could help fund a decent little pedalboard.

When I looked at your list of gear, my first thought was "No Tele?!" I like Strats and used to think they were the perfect guitar. But then I started trying some Teles, and now they are by far my favourite. To me they are more expressive than many other guitars. They don't hide bad playing very well, but they don't hide good playing either. Like @cboutilier said, adding 3 pickups and a trem to a Tele just gives you a single-cut Strat, and this doesn't really add to your tonal arsenal. But if you want to get a different sound, try a traditional Tele config. There's always L&M's 30-day "free rental" if you want to try one at home for a while. ;)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If you love to play the Suhr Strat and don't mind leaving that much $$$ on a stage, then keep it. But otherwise, you do have a lot of bridge-humbucker equipped guitars. The Epi Les Paul also seems a bit redundant, unless it's more for the aesthetic, but it alone could help fund a decent little pedalboard.

When I looked at your list of gear, my first thought was "No Tele?!" I like Strats and used to think they were the perfect guitar. But then I started trying some Teles, and now they are by far my favourite. To me they are more expressive than many other guitars. They don't hide bad playing very well, but they don't hide good playing either. Like @cboutilier said, adding 3 pickups and a trem to a Tele just gives you a single-cut Strat, and this doesn't really add to your tonal arsenal. But if you want to get a different sound, try a traditional Tele config. There's always L&M's 30-day "free rental" if you want to try one at home for a while. ;)
I think this is where I put in my little pitch trying to convince everyone that the Classic Vibe Tele is the answer to all life's problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll agree with others, if you love the Suhr - get rid of some other stuff.
3 strats is a lot to have, but maybe you can keep the Suhr and the parts one and sell the other. And sell the Epi and the Vox or Gretsch. Buy a bass breaker or deluxe Reverb or Kemper or whatever moves you.
Either way - fun problem to have!

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
For the record, Reverend makes a tele style guitar with 3 SC's and a trem. They sound pretty good - my singer has one.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I think this is where I put in my little pitch trying to convince everyone that the Classic Vibe Tele is the answer to all life's problems.
I've heard good things about these, but never owned one. I get that there might be too much of a stigma with "Squier" on the headstock for some pros to use them, and in those cases I think a MIJ Tele is a fantastic value. That said, if Russell Broom can rock his Squier Jaguar kijiji purchase of $200 on stage and in studio, why can't everyone else? :)

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
For the record, Reverend makes a tele style guitar with 3 SC's and a trem. They sound pretty good - my singer has one.
I don't think anyone was saying that's going to be a bad sounding combo, it would just be leaning back a lot towards the Strat sound rather than being something different. I wouldn't underestimate the difference in sound a trem makes compared to vintage bridge strung through the body with the three brass saddles. The saddles sharing a couple of strings can create some sympathetic vibrations on the adjacent string and add to the overall character as well. Even the new American Pro Teles have gone back to these, which I think is kinda cool.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I wouldn't underestimate the difference in sound a trem makes compared to vintage bridge strung through the body with the three brass saddles. The saddles sharing a couple of strings can create some sympathetic vibrations on the adjacent string and add to the overall character as well. Even the new American Pro Teles have gone back to these, which I think is kinda cool.
I agree. Besides the bridge pickup, I think the three brass saddles is a part of what makes a tele a tele. I get that some people want better intonation than can sometimes be achieved with that setup, and I have no proof that it makes a big difference sound-wise. I just like that setup and I can get the intonation 'close enough for rock 'n roll'. Country, too. Jazz, maybe not, but that's OK, I don't really play any of that - at least not any that sounds good enough to require super-accurate intonation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts