The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide on a guitar to buy for a while and I think i want a PRS SE custom 24. They are somewhat affordable from what ive heard they are really nice guitars. My dad has a very nice Fender Strat that i really enjoy playing but the only thing i would change about that guitar is the scale length. I would make it a bit smaller because ive played guitars with a smaller scale length and i enjoy them more. I wouldnt want to buy a les paul because i think they are way to heavy and i just dont enjoy playing them but i want something different than just a strat or telecaster. So if anyone could help me decide that would be great!

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
I've been trying to decide on a guitar to buy for a while and I think i want a PRS SE custom 24. They are somewhat affordable from what ive heard they are really nice guitars. My dad has a very nice Fender Strat that i really enjoy playing but the only thing i would change about that guitar is the scale length. I would make it a bit smaller because ive played guitars with a smaller scale length and i enjoy them more. I wouldnt want to buy a les paul because i think they are way to heavy and i just dont enjoy playing them but i want something different than just a strat or telecaster. So if anyone could help me decide that would be great!
I'm biased

IMAG0439.jpg
IMAG0431.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Make sure you try one out first. My CE 24 sounded great and played well, but I just couldn't get used to the wide neck, nor the rotary pickup selector so it only lasted about 4 or 5 weeks before it got moved along.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Make sure you try one out first. My CE 24 sounded great and played well, but I just couldn't get used to the wide neck, nor the rotary pickup selector so it only lasted about 4 or 5 weeks before it got moved along.
Neck aside....rotary switches are easy to swap for a 3 way toggle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My only problem is that there is no where near me that has prs guitars for me to try out. Unless i wanna drive 6 hours, i have no way of testing one out

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
A PRS SE is an incredibly well made guitar. True that the neck if beefy and wide, but that's part of what I like about them.
I have a Soapbar SC and just love it.

Another option for a lightweight short scale guitar is the SG.

·
Premium Member
12,962 Posts
+1 on the SG. You can get humbuckers or P90's in one.

I've personally never gelled with any PRSi that I've tried in a store. Not nearly enough to take one home. And I've tried them ranging from $500 to $4500. I don't quit trying but so far, no go.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Personally, I would love a PRS but the necks are too narrow for me. If you are looking for something different, I would spend some time looking at as many different typed of guitars possible and choose the one you like the best and forget what's on the headstock. As far as I have seen, the name on the headstock has never produced and guitar tone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I never got comfortable with the neck on my SE. Sold it, but it was a very nice guitar.

Wouldn't a weight relieved LP weigh about the same as a PRS SE?

You want options... take a look at a Gretsch Jet. There are several variations at different price points.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Personally, I would love a PRS but the necks are too narrow for me. If you are looking for something different, I would spend some time looking at as many different typed of guitars possible and choose the one you like the best and forget what's on the headstock. As far as I have seen, the name on the headstock has never produced and guitar tone.
You have to be the first person in history to complain about a PRS neck being narrow. Not to mention discouraging people from buying anything with a brand name in every other thread is getting old, we all get it.....you're cheap. Now cut it out.

images(2).jpg

G

·
I say yes too.
I used to own a SE Custom 22 and currently have a CE 22.
Both guitars are incredible.
The SE series are a great bang for the buck and easy enough to flip if you don't like it (which I'll doubt).

·
Premium Member
18,037 Posts
You should be able to find a used SE Custom 24 for $500 or so, depending on the age. My first PRS was actually a couple of SE's, including the 24. They are workhorse guitars, made with solid components.

Give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I never got comfortable with the neck on my SE. Sold it, but it was a very nice guitar.

Wouldn't a weight relieved LP weigh about the same as a PRS SE?

You want options... take a look at a Gretsch Jet. There are several variations at different price points.
My Les Paul BFG is lighter than one of my Tele's. It's probably between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
With your closest music store being 6 hours away, you may want to try a WANTED ad on kijiji, and try that..
The other option, not a great one, is buy new at L&M on line, try it for a couple weeks and send it back if you do not like it..you would be out shipping..Not really sure what else you can do other then drive..

1 - 20 of 86 Posts