The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be crazy to change cabs?

I love my Yorkie cab. It sounds and looks awesome, but my back has really been giving me problems again in the last few months. The 8x8, while it has tilt-back castors, still weighs 125 lbs and lets my back know it when I carry it up and down stairs and load it in and out of my car.
I was thinking of selling it (locally:rolleyes:) and picking up an Avatar 410Neo. I know 410's can hold their own and the neo are supposed to sound good and are fairly light.

Crazy?

·
Registered
644 Posts
james on bass said:

I love my Yorkie cab. It sounds and looks awesome, but my back has really been giving me problems again in the last few months. The 8x8, while it has tilt-back castors, still weighs 125 lbs and lets my back know it when I carry it up and down stairs and load it in and out of my car.
I was thinking of selling it (locally:rolleyes:) and picking up an Avatar 410Neo. I know 410's can hold their own and the neo are supposed to sound good and are fairly light.

Crazy?
I think 4X10 cabs are great. I also have a 2X10 I use different combinations
Sometimes I just use the 2X10 sometimes I use the 4X10 and sometimes I use both together. Gives pretty good versitility. Also I suggest getting a good dolly because the older you get the more lifting stuff hurts. Trust me on that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I know the feeling.
I have a plan,
1. You give your 8x8 to me.
2. Buy your 4x10 cab.
:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
Do you DI your bass signal or do you depend on yur amp to supply all the bass guitar for FOH?

If you DI the bass, 2 X 10 should be plenty, 4 X 10 is definitely enough and 8 X 10 is overkill.

If not.....4 X 10 should still do most rooms quite well.

Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milkman said:
Do you DI your bass signal or do you depend on yur amp to supply all the bass guitar for FOH?

If you DI the bass, 2 X 10 should be plenty, 4 X 10 is definitely enough and 8 X 10 is overkill.

If not.....4 X 10 should still do most rooms quite well.

Just my opinion of course.

My rig provides stage and FOH, otherwise I'd love to get a wedge 2x10 and a great DI. I played for 16 years with a 4x10, but made the switch last fall after falling in love with the 8x8 at the store.

I really have mixed feelings about trying to sell the Yorkie cab, but it is just too hard on my back getting it out of the basement and into my car. Once I'm at gigs or rehearsal I have help with it and it's a breeze when I can roll it.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
james on bass said:
My rig provides stage and FOH, otherwise I'd love to get a wedge 2x10 and a great DI. I played for 16 years with a 4x10, but made the switch last fall after falling in love with the 8x8 at the store.

I really have mixed feelings about trying to sell the Yorkie cab, but it is just too hard on my back getting it out of the basement and into my car. Once I'm at gigs or rehearsal I have help with it and it's a breeze when I can roll it.

Well, having worked with a guy who used two complete Ampeg SVTs I can relate. Those big cabs are nice sounding, but a nightmare to lug (and I lug way too much gear anyway).

In a perfect world it would be nice to keep the 8 X 10 and grab a little amp as well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Milkman said:
Well, having worked with a guy who used two complete Ampeg SVTs I can relate. Those big cabs are nice sounding, but a nightmare to lug (and I lug way too much gear anyway).

In a perfect world it would be nice to keep the 8 X 10 and grab a little amp as well.
It's a Yorkie 8x8. Not as big as an Ampeg 8x10 but just as sweet IMO.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Two cabs

The bass player I jam with has two cabs ...........a 2x10 and 1x15..........both very portable and no back breaking work. How about cutting the cabinet in half and using it that way? I've seen it done with those monster Ampegs.........then you'll have 2
4x10's

Ray

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was thinking the 2x10, 1x15 combo would provide the most versatility, and ease of portability. 2x10 for most jobs, and add the 1x15 for the larger needs. Keep one cab at home, and the 1x15 at the rehearsal space (if you can keep equipment there). That way, only lug the head and bass(es) for rehearsal.

After using a 4x10 combo for 2 years now, I've got it up on the sale blocks, looking to go back to a 1x15 and possibly add a 2x10 later.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
rippinglickfest said:
The bass player I jam with has two cabs ...........a 2x10 and 1x15..........both very portable and no back breaking work. How about cutting the cabinet in half and using it that way? I've seen it done with those monster Ampegs.........then you'll have 2
4x10's

Ray
well he'd have 2 4x8s....

·
Registered
17 Posts
james on bass said:

Crazy?
Hey man I have been there before myself and have switched to lighter cabs. I use 2 of the Avatar B410 neo's. They sound huge and this way the rig is more modular, 1 for small gigs, 2 for big gigs. They are pretty easy to move around (60-65 lbs) and work great as a single cab. I also went to light weight heads as well. With all the great sounding light gear, I would never go back to hauling around some heavy ass cab or rack again. I'm telling you this as a player and not a salesman!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Milkman said:
Why not just get a cab with one 32" speaker?
theres no way that an amp could move that?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah two 4x8's.............hahaha

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey man I have been there before myself and have switched to lighter cabs. I use 2 of the Avatar B410 neo's. They sound huge and this way the rig is more modular, 1 for small gigs, 2 for big gigs. They are pretty easy to move around (60-65 lbs) and work great as a single cab. I also went to light weight heads as well. With all the great sounding light gear, I would never go back to hauling around some heavy ass cab or rack again. I'm telling you this as a player and not a salesman!

Tell me Brent... Since you have access to all the cabs, which is a better stand-alone cab - 4x10 or 2x12? Why 2 410s and not 1 each of 410 & 212, or a 210 & 212 (a popular rig at HCBF)?

Just curious - I've always been a fan of 10s and now 8s. Don't like 15s and have never played a 12.

·
Registered
17 Posts
james on bass said:
Tell me Brent... Since you have access to all the cabs, which is a better stand-alone cab - 4x10 or 2x12? Why 2 410s and not 1 each of 410 & 212, or a 210 & 212 (a popular rig at HCBF)?

Just curious - I've always been a fan of 10s and now 8s. Don't like 15s and have never played a 12.
I think both the 410 and the 212's are great stand-alone cabs. The 410 has the advantage of higher power handling, but other than that it just depends on the sound/tonality that you like.
I personally don't like 15's but the 12's do have some of the properties of a 15 that i do like. the 12's sound a little more"big" in the lows and mids kinda like a 15, but snappier and quicker like a 10. Both cabs have a horn, so the top end is covered.
I usually use 2 -410's but I sometimes use a 410 and a 212, which sounds f'-ing wicked!!! I love 10's and 12's together, Depending on the sound i need for that particular gig. I don't normally use a 210 with a 212 because I find the 212 will overpower the 10's (for my taste). I also use a 210 and a 410 for midsize gigs.
If I use just 1 cab it is usually the 410, it is just more too my taste. The exeception would be for rock gigs (especially with a pick), then I really like the 212's.
I hope you aren't more confused now than before!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think both the 410 and the 212's are great stand-alone cabs. The 410 has the advantage of higher power handling, but other than that it just depends on the sound/tonality that you like.
I personally don't like 15's but the 12's do have some of the properties of a 15 that i do like. the 12's sound a little more"big" in the lows and mids kinda like a 15, but snappier and quicker like a 10. Both cabs have a horn, so the top end is covered.
I usually use 2 -410's but I sometimes use a 410 and a 212, which sounds f'-ing wicked!!! I love 10's and 12's together, Depending on the sound i need for that particular gig. I don't normally use a 210 with a 212 because I find the 212 will overpower the 10's (for my taste). I also use a 210 and a 410 for midsize gigs.
If I use just 1 cab it is usually the 410, it is just more too my taste. The exeception would be for rock gigs (especially with a pick), then I really like the 212's.
I hope you aren't more confused now than before!!

:confused-smiley-010

I think I understand just fine. For myself, I think I'd be best going with a 4x10 as a stand-alone with the hopes of adding a 2x12 to it down the road. Of course, I have not sold my current cab yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts