The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any reliable shops in the GTA, preferably in the Brampton/Mississsauga area, that build desktop computers?

The wireless card in my laptop died so I have to send it in to the manufacturer to have that replaced (it is under warranty so it is all on their dime). Since I need a computer for work I was going to back everything up on an external hard-drive and then transfer it to my desktop but the hard drive on that is about dead. Instead of replacing the HD in a ten year old system I will just buy a new one and figured I should look into having one built. The problem is, I don't know of any reliable shops that do this so would welcome recommendations.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Why don't you try Tiger Direct in Burlington? They are just off the QEW a short drive from Costco.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think they did custom work. I had checked their website and they have tons of systems, the majority of which are refurbished and I am not interested in refurbished items.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just looking for a backup system so don't need anything super powerful.

I figure an i5 processor, a 500GB to 1TB hard drive, and 4GB or RAM should do me just fine. I would prefer Windows 7 Pro as that is what I like to use. If it comes with anything newer I will delete the OS and will install W7 myself from my own copy of it. I don't need any software (Office, etc.) as I own copies of everything I need and can install it all myself.

Canada Computers had a bunch of systems that meet these specs that were available for $400-$500 but they are all sold out at the moment. I have no idea if, or when, they will get more of them in.

Something like the one linked below would fit the bill but I am a bit leery about a CD/DVD drive that is installed sideways as I will have it sitting as a tower, not lying flat, and I am thinking that a sideways drive might make it too easy to drop discs as I am inserting them. Unfortunately, a great many systems these days seem to have sideways drives so I might have to suck it up and deal with it.

S6100066-1,VX4630G-50051C,Windows 8.1 Home; Intel Core i5-4460;8GB DDR3;1TB HDD; - DirectCanada

Hell, the price on that system has increased $40 since last night.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,977 Posts

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
why not build it yourself? it's pretty easy to do. google and youtube will get you through it if there's anything your not sure about. if you ever built a model airplane, it's easier than that.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
What cheezy said. It's just screws and a few other plug in connections. The motherboard manual usually gives detailed instructions with pictures and diagrams. The most imposing part is setting up the bios, and the mobo manual walks you thru that too. Most of the parts stores do package deals with most of what you need in a bundle price.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I considered building one myself but am certain that I would screw something up. Since this is a backup system that wouldn't be a big deal but I need it to be as reliable as possible (for work purposes) while my laptop is out having the wireless card replaced.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
What cheezy said. It's just screws and a few other plug in connections. The motherboard manual usually gives detailed instructions with pictures and diagrams. The most imposing part is setting up the bios, and the mobo manual walks you thru that too. Most of the parts stores do package deals with most of what you need in a bundle price.
I don't think its really any cheaper theses days. and you still have to buy the OS or *obtain* it somehow.
I used to build my own PCs, but cant justify it now for what I can get for $500 or so from Dell, Gateway, etc. the OEMs can just do it so much cheaper based on their volume component purchasing power and everything built into the mother board.
I'm not loyal to intel or amd, so id prob look at something like this:
Inspiron Desktop (AMD) | Dell Canada

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Yes, I do believe that. It's been several years since I built my i7 and have felt no need to update, though did a few upgrades. I think I'm done with high end vid cards any more, just don't do the gaming to justify it. I still want fast memory and HD's, but I have that. Plus, in the evenings and weekends, I'm mostly on my iPad. Heck, I have a decent i5 laptop I haven't even fired up in 3 years. So, if my current rig burnt, I'd probably do exactly what you're saying.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think its really any cheaper theses days. and you still have to buy the OS or *obtain* it somehow.
I own copies of Window$ 7, Office, and all the other software that I will need, all legally obtained (cheap as hell, or free, through academic agreements with the various software manufacturers).

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I would just get something from Dell or whatever. It shows up at your door and thats that.

I aint too keen on Winders 10 although its on two of my laptops. All others at home and at office are 7.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would just get something from Dell or whatever. It shows up at your door and thats that.

I aint too keen on Winders 10 although its on two of my laptops. All others at home and at office are 7.

Yeah I am considering the Dell linked above as well as the other unit that I linked further up the thread. I am going to hit NCIX either tomorrow or Saturday and will then decide between the Dell, the one I linked, and whatever NCIX would build for me.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info folks.

I ended up ordering the system linked below, but from another retailer (NCIX) who price matched someone else, so I got it for $425.99 and free shipping. With taxes, shipping insurance, etc. it came out to only $490.

S6100066-1,VX4630G-50051C,Windows 8.1 Home; Intel Core i5-4460;8GB DDR3;1TB HDD; - DirectCanada

When I was at an NCIX store the other day their guy told me that it was a great price for that unit and that they couldn't match it when doing a custom build. I had mentioned the specs to him but not the specific manufacturer or model or I would have found out then that they had them in stock. Then again, had I done that I wouldn't have found the cheaper price that they ended up matching so I am better off for having waited a couple of days.

The first thing I am doing after it arrives is dumping Window$ 8 and loading in Window$ 7 Pro.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts