The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use, hardware and software, to shoot short videos? I will want to do some editing as I find those YouTube vids where it shows the guy turning it and turning off without any editing irritating.

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I make youtube videos using hardware and software, what exactly do you want to know?
Just about everything. I will be using a Nikon D5300 DSLR. I've got the computing power. Hoping not to spend more than#$100 on editing software.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Just about everything. I will be using a Nikon D5300 DSLR. I've got the computing power. Hoping not to spend more than#$100 on editing software.
There's nothing Corel can't do. If you are planning to do videos showing the screen of your computer Corel comes with an independent screen capture app as well. The other contender is Premier, there's a free version on the Adobe website but it's too old and I think it doesn't work in HD, you can also rent the current version.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I can shoot video and do basic editing on my phone with the stock android software.
Could you give us a spiel on how you do it? I would like to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you give us a spiel on how you do it? I would like to give it a try.
To start, very, very simple. My daughter and family are moving to Kelowna next wee. I won't be seeing my grand daughter near as much as I have been. I have fairly good reading voice and can do funny voices and sounds. I was going to record 2 to 4 minute bed time story reads that she can view on an iPad. I would also like to insert scanned pictures of the story characters in the read. She also likes to dance when I play guitar, so I was going to record simple upbeat three progression songs she can dance to when I'm not there. All recordings at home. I don't sing.

Likely I will want record a little bit more sometime later. Sound quality is important, so it looks like I will have to invest in mike.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
To start, very, very simple. My daughter and family are moving to Kelowna next wee. I won't be seeing my grand daughter near as much as I have been. I have fairly good reading voice and can do funny voices and sounds. I was going to record 2 to 4 minute bed time story reads that she can view on an iPad. I would also like to insert scanned pictures of the story characters in the read. She also likes to dance when I play guitar, so I was going to record simple upbeat three progression songs she can dance to when I'm not there. All recordings at home. I don't sing.

Likely I will want record a little bit more sometime later. Sound quality is important, so it looks like I will have to invest in mike.
I have a couple extra mics. If you want to pay for the postage, I could send you one.

Reactions: johnnyshaka

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

Honestly, the only engaging way my three year old will bond with our long distance relatives is skype, or facetime, or any live video app. She remembers the least spoken members of my family by talking with them live compared to photo's and videos of prior get togethers. Maybe you're over thinking it?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

That's a great idea and a great gesture, Robert, I'm sure your granddaughter will love the vids!

Yan has a good point as well, Facetime/Skype are fun for the kids as well and I'd definitely make time for that, too!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I was a contributor at a (now defunct) Guitar teaching site for a long time. I started very simply... at first.

I had a Canon cam-corder (used those DVC tapes) that had a decent mic on it, so I'd have my amp in the same room, record the lesson, then import it onto my computer and use the stock MS editing software, Movie Maker. Later, I got myself a little ZOOM recorder for better audio, and imported that too, synced it up, and deleted the original camera audio. It has progressed a lot since those early days. Now I have an HD camera (still a Canon) and I record the audio separately using a PreSonus box and the software it came with. A mic I speak into, and a second mic snaked out into another room to record the amp, so I can control the volume etc to get levels right. I use Sony Vegas for editing.

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Fact would be changing from Android to Apple. I still have legacy plan which works quite well. New plan with iPhone would be $25 more month, not including cost of the phone. I don't have hardware for Skype. Making small videos, she can play them over and over if she likes them.

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds good. Would I be able mount to the hot shoe of a DSLR and plug it into the tiny jack on the camera, or would I need adapters? Thanks

I have a couple extra mics. If you want to pay for the postage, I could send you one.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Sounds good. Would I be able mount to the hot shoe of a DSLR and plug it into the tiny jack on the camera, or would I need adapters? Thanks
Robert: These are regular mics, similar to a Shure 58, so you would need adapters.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
When I shoot videos of pedals I use my Galaxy s5 phone, a selfie stick attached to a microphone stand and 4 led lamps from the dollar store and I record the audio directly from the pedal board to Pro Tools and use an amp simulator.
When I need to speak or record my amp I use my portable 1 channel USB interface and a dynamic microphone and record either the speech once the video is done or in real time if it's the real amp. I have to synchronize the audio manually in both cases

1 - 20 of 24 Posts