The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried shipping anything to the United States, or buying something from the States since the new regulations were put in place? Curious if anyone has, or has heard of someone who has had any problems with or without the new permit.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
i bought a guitar from Japan with no problem. Some dealers in Japan that I spoke with say you have to wait 2 weeks for paperwork. And some said if it's confiscated they will refund your money.
You can cross the border with a guitar and you can sell it as long as it is not sold as/through a business/store.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That issue has largely been explored here: Getting a guitar across the border ...
and here: CITES certification for exporting used guitars?

Briefly though, I've moved (purchased/sold) a guitar with RW board into both countries without any paperwork or problems whatsoever...

Thanks! I had looked through those threads but was looking for specific experience since the start of this year. And if anyone actually has had their guitars held in customs because of CITES. I might have missed it though, I will look again

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
...was looking for specific experience since the start of this year. And if anyone actually has had their guitars held in customs because of CITES.
I purchased a guitar from a dealer last month that I had them (in Hong Kong) ship to a US address that I often use. According to the track info, the guitar sat with US customs for about a day before being released for delivery. There were no snags that I could detect. To be fair, that experience may only reflect what happens in the US...

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I purchased a guitar from a dealer last month that I had them (in Hong Kong) ship to a US address that I often use. According to the track info, the guitar sat with US customs for about a day before being released for delivery. There were no snags that I could detect. To be fair, that experience may only reflect what happens in the US...
Why to a US address and not to Canada? Was it cheaper?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Why to a US address and not to Canada? Was it cheaper?
Yes, cheaper for the seller to ship to the US (which they do with some regularity) and it eliminated the potentially brutal brokerage fees. Fortunately for me, a return trip to the PO stateside is just a 1/2 hr side trip after work ;^ )

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I've shipped and received a guitar w/ rosewood board with no issues since the start of the year. My guess is that customs may be focusing (in the future) on dealers as opposed to personal shipments but time will tell. Some US dealers will no longer ship to Canada. I have a guitar coming in from Germany and the European dealers seem to be up to speed on the paperwork requirements given that they have been subject to these requirements for some time now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts