The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody on the forum shipping amps into the States? It’s been a long time since I’ve shipped anything into the US but I’ve got a buyer lined up in the States for a pretty pricey piece and I’m concerned about a couple things. Brokerage fees and his state taxes. I gave him an all in price I.e. Shipped and PayPal but started to worry that upon delivery he might get dinged with taxes etc. He doesn’t want any surprises upon delivery either so we are both considering pulling the pin.

So, who are you guys using? Is Canada Post still the way to go (aside from the Postal Strike).

He’s paying $3,500 us so declared value is pretty high. I always ship with insurance but it looks like Canada Post only goes up to $1,000. The amp is made in the USA so there shouldn’t be any Duty, right?

Would I be better off selling for less and keeping it here in Canada?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve shipped a few into the US through sales on Reverb. Always used FedEx so I could fully insure. I always make sure buyer agrees to be responsible for clearance, local taxes and duties. Not had any problems, but like I said they knew they had to cover those.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’ll check into Fedex tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Get the money first. Ship when the cash clears. Any extra fees are the buyers responsibility. I once shipped some specialized computer equipment to Northern California (probably weighed as much as an amp) via FedEx and the buyer got it without extra fees owing. We were both surprised. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
FedEx Ground. Though your buyer will want to call them and ask about any brokerage fees and duties in advance.

I don't recall the exact threshold, but I seem to recall that if it's over $2K in declared value, there is added stringency on the clearance, even if the amp was made in a NAFTA country.

But at least it will be fairly quick -- 4 business days, and you can insure it appropriately.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
Anybody on the forum shipping amps into the States? It’s been a long time since I’ve shipped anything into the US but I’ve got a buyer lined up in the States for a pretty pricey piece and I’m concerned about a couple things. Brokerage fees and his state taxes. I gave him an all in price I.e. Shipped and PayPal but started to worry that upon delivery he might get dinged with taxes etc. He doesn’t want any surprises upon delivery either so we are both considering pulling the pin.

So, who are you guys using? Is Canada Post still the way to go (aside from the Postal Strike).

He’s paying $3,500 us so declared value is pretty high. I always ship with insurance but it looks like Canada Post only goes up to $1,000. The amp is made in the USA so there shouldn’t be any Duty, right?

Would I be better off selling for less and keeping it here in Canada?

Thanks in advance,
If it's a product that was made in north America filling out the proper NAFTA documents will help avoid taxes.... he may still get brokerage/duty charges depending how you ship though. A quick Google search should produce the required paperwork.

Reactions: seadonkey

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm hearing a lot about PayPal scammers. Buyer has issues, and PayPal takes their money back. Seller waits for return that never comes.

No personal experience, but there's enough online buzz I suspect reports are generally credible.

I've sent cash -- I no longer accept PayPal.

I don't have much money. Losing $3.5k US would gut me.

jmo

Reactions: seadonkey
1 - 8 of 8 Posts