The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think you agree in your contract with the carrier that they have limited liability.

Insurance companies don't lose money.

Can you afford to lose your guitar?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
When I ship out I don't bother with insurance as I know it was packed well. When I buy from someone else I pay for insurance as the entire process is out of my hands. I always paid for insurance until CP destroyed an amp and then refused to pay.

·
Premium Member
9,743 Posts
if I get insurance its less about trusting the carrier than it is about trusting the recipient.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,823 Posts
There are 3 parties in any shipment. The shipper, the carrier, and the recipient.

The carrier accepts no responsibility for the parcel, as per the carrier's terms of service. They sell insurance to the shipper if the shipper wants it.

If the shipper gets shipping insurance from the carrier, they are covered for lost/damaged/stolen parcels. Of course that depends on whether the carrier agrees that the parcel was lost/damaged/stolen. Carrier insurance is generally useless if a parcel is left at the recipient's door/porch/whatever.

Unfortunately the recipient has no real power in the situation because the entire agreement is between the shipper and carrier. Even if the shipper gets shipping insurance through the carrier, all that technically does is protect the shipper. If the shipper considers themselves morally responsible, they'll pass the insurance benefits on to the recipient.

The other option is shipper provided insurance, which is like in-store warranty services. L&M for instance has their own shipping insurance as an option.

It may be worth noting that the amount of lost/stolen/damaged parcels is so small, it is essentially a non-issue. It's really just about piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
May be someone had to battle about the issue and would prove I could be wrong but as far as I know, when the carrier take charge of the package, this one is deemed to belong to the receiver. So if something goes wrong, it would be receiver's problem. Now, why not insure the package ? I mean if there is any problem, the buyer would have the insurance. Without insurance, the receiver could argue about sender's responsibility, ain't it ?
Maybe the best way would be to make it clear that the buyer want the package insured or not.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May be someone had to battle about the issue and would prove I could be wrong but as far as I know, when the carrier take charge of the package, this one is deemed to belong to the receiver. So if something goes wrong, it would be receiver's problem. Now, why not insure the package ? I mean if there is any problem, the buyer would have the insurance. Without insurance, the receiver could argue about sender's responsibility, ain't it ?
Maybe the best way would be to make it clear that the buyer want the package insured or not.
Perhaps. This is the reason why I was thinking about this. Bought a guitar and was given a certain amount for shipping. The seller shipped it and then asked for an additional $54.00 as he insured the thing for the full amount. I never asked for it to be insured as I didn't feel I needed it as I paid via PayPal's goods and services option. But, I paid the seller anyway as that's the kind of guy I am.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
WIth CP if the buyer receives a damaged package it is up to the SELLER (the one who shipped the item) to claim and fight with insurance. The buyer has to wait in good faith that the seller will reimburse him.

Been down this road, it sucks.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I always paid for insurance until CP destroyed an amp and then refused to pay.
Ok, I gotta know now.
What happened?

Oh @1SweetRide , I get the “sign for package” bit, costs less than insurance but means the person has to show ID & I know they have the package. What happen to the package along the way.....well, hell, I don’t know. But I try & I do believe the best in people, both recipients,senders & the couriers.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I gotta know now.
What happened?

Oh @1SweetRide , I get the “sign for package” bit, costs less than insurance but means the person has to show ID & I know they have the package. What happen to the package along the way.....well, hell, I don’t know. But I try & I do believe the best in people, both recipients,senders & the couriers.
That's what I do to, 95% of the time.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
You can roll the dice. To me, it's less about getting damaged than just not showing up.

I've shipped and recieved many packages without issue, but one guitar disappeared.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I don't use it. If you ask at any Canada Post location, they are very vague about what it covers.
Also, Canada Post stopped using "fragile" stickers as they treat all packages the same.
If you are dumb enough to forgo Canada Post and use the crooks at UPS or Fedex well, I guess you should pay up the wazoo for insurance as they don't give a crap about your package.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Received some twenty acoustics (most from U.S.) and shipped as many (all in Canada with Canada Post) over the last ten years, but did not encounter any issue. All these, except one, were carefully packed though : As another member underlined, I am more concerned with stealth than damage.

P.S.Thanks @vokey design for correcting my misunderstanding..

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
Canada Post stopped using "fragile" stickers as they treat all packages the same.
There's a logical reason for that, it's so employees treat all packages with the same care. And also it's a beacon for dishonest people to try and steal things if you mark all insured packages with extra stickers.

Anyways to answer the OP, 99% of the time you wont need it. But I have had to make 2 claims and was happy I had it. If you have all your ducks in a row the process is surprisingly fast. Start to finish with a damaged Rickenbacker case for example I had my moolah within 2 or 3 weeks.

In the end insurance is only really useful to honest people though. Only the sender can make a claim for any damage. So if you send a guitar and it shows up broken and didn't have insurance the buyer is the one left holding the broken goods and you're left with their money. I couldn't put someone else in that spot and most times can't afford to just replace an expensive item, so insurance it is!

Reactions: 1SweetRide
1 - 16 of 16 Posts