The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shipped via USPS from England? Just wondering if you get nailed on additional charges the same way you do when you use them from the US.
It's a large item so I'm limited on carriers.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
I don't think anyone ever in the entire history of the world has shipped something via United States Postal Service from the UK. ;P

That said, yes I have used reg post from Britain. Not anything big like a guitar or amp, but small to medium things; usually not any more expensive than shipping CanPost within Canada and reasonably fast. ALL normal taxes and fees would apply; crossing the same boarder/customs checkpoint at Pearson.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Err. ..sorry, either autocorrect or my fat fingers or habit took over.

I actually meant UPS not usps.
Lol

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Isn't UPS notorious for charging ridiculous brokerage fees compared to other carriers?

Could it not be sent via Royal Mail instead?

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Yes, the worst. Also If you're in the GTA there's just the one depot, so if you miss yer package (as anyone with a reg job will) then you have to go stand in line with everyone else in all of Toronto for the 1 hour after normal biz hours that they're still open.

Fedex > UPS any day. DHL is a'ight, only used then a few times. State post is usually best and usually not any more expensive after everyone else's additional fees. Though this all depends on where the depots/post offices are in your area (there might be a DHL close but the Fedex is a few towns over etc) unless you know you'll be there when the truck comes.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't UPS notorious for charging ridiculous brokerage fees compared to other carriers?

Could it not be sent via Royal Mail instead?
I think they might have size limits. At any rate, the shop I'm buying from uses UPS...I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to get "surprises" the way I do when I buy from the us and get shipped UPS. I haven't bought much from across the pond.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
It'll be all the same surprises yes. Although, they do now offer an all- in service w no surprises ( taxes, brokerage, all of it). Looks like it costs more cuz u pay it up front, but no surprises guaranteed.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.
I'll factor in some additional fees in determining if the deal makes sense for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts