The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a pedal. Nothing extra large, just a regular pedal. $92 shipping. Analogman charges $49 USD to ship a small pedal USPS with tracking. If the package gets HST tacked on at the border that's another 13%.

The cost to ship is way too much.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It seems to be that the small items really got jacked up but large items have barely moved. I shipped a vintage 2x12 cab from QC to BC and it was only $55 or so (Canada Post). Yet shipping a pedal to Ottawa or Toronot is basically half of that!?!?

The price of insurance has also really skyrocketed.

Oh well, at least I know I will see an attempted delivery notification at 6:40 am, even though I am sitting at home, and I will need to go pick up the item the NEXT day. Money well spent indeed.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I was looking at a pedal. Nothing extra large, just a regular pedal. $92 shipping. Analogman charges $49 USD to ship a small pedal USPS with tracking. If the package gets HST tacked on at the border that's another 13%.

Surprising. Are you sure it isn't UPS, and not USPS? UPS has the WORST brokerage fees.

UPS really means "Ultimate Postage Scam"

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
The cost of shipping drives me nuts sometimes but if it's reasonable I don't have any issue with it. The thing that really irks me is when people jack it up to ship from the US to Canada. I did have a pleasant experience recently when an offer for a pedal was accepted through Reverb, the guy had a US shipping cost down and kept it the same to ship it here, 15 bucks. StewMac also seemed to have a cheaper option that worked out and Tubedepot used to have a 6 dollar option for a box. If customs didn't slow it down it would sometimes arrive in 5 days.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Well, once again, experience may help. I happened to understand the differences between UPS and USPS : UPS is an importation broker and has to charge taxes and administrative fee, while USPS is a postal service that transfers to Canada Post... where taxes maybe collected or not (on bases I could not understand!!!).
Take note that eBays GSP appeared to charge some 9% taxes.
Finally, when you sell a 50$ item, you can't accept to loose on S&H the same way you would do on a 500$ item or even higher.
I used to import CDs from USA and UK and sold some of them to US citizens later on : Canada Post is much more expensive than USPS and UK.
We have to live with that and it will get worse since governments are getting their eyes on Paypal clients and eCommerce : A few years ago we used to pay only the federal tax when buying in another province. Nowadays, harmonized taxes ended the party !

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I'd like a Tele hard case, and love these ones at Guitarfetish: Strat/Tele Sized Guitar Cases
$80US for the case, $101US for shipping. Wtf?! I may get an American friend to carry it cross border for me next year.

On the positive side, I bought a bottle opener from someone like Cream City last year. The shipping was listed as something like $35. When I asked if that was true, and pointed out how absurd that was, they admitted to a mistake and corrected it (to I don't remember what). So ask if shipping seems ludicrous.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,107 Posts

Analogman exclusively uses USPS because of customs and brokerage fees charged by FedEx and ups. To many people were refusing delivery of pedals because of the fees and Mike was left making a ton of refunds. $50 up front sucks, but a surprise bill for $100-150 on delivery sucks more.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
In some cases, I think CHARGED shipping by the VENDOR is being confused with actual shipping cost, ie., the vendor is making it a flat rate and taking some profit.

In other cases I know shipping is high. Hey, they have to pay for all the low rate Amazon Prime contracted business somehow lol.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
There is a place I deal with in Arizona for a lot of electronic type parts and tubes. They offer a choice of at least 6 ways to ship your package when you buy from them. DHL is almost always the cheapest and the package is on my door step in 3 days every time. They do ding you for GST and a border handling fee, but nothing like what UPS does. It's about $15 and doesn't seem to vary with package value. I don't mind paying an extra $15 for 3 day service.

What grinds me is stuff like a reproduction amp faceplate on eBay. Some places want $70 to ship one to Canada. Other places want $30 to ship the same thing. I've even seen them ship here for as little as $15.
And of course the guy who charges $70 shipping always has the things I want.

Places like MojoTone seem to charge a minimum of $40 US for any shipping even if it's a sticker that can go in an envelope. But, the shipping doesn't increase much with each additional item you add after that. I think it's their way of saying they don't want small orders. I've often wondered if we should get together and do a group buy to get better shipping rates (all on one invoice) but I'm sure that would end up being a disaster somehow.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
The cost of shipping drives me nuts sometimes but if it's reasonable I don't have any issue with it. The thing that really irks me is when people jack it up to ship from the US to Canada. I did have a pleasant experience recently when an offer for a pedal was accepted through Reverb, the guy had a US shipping cost down and kept it the same to ship it here, 15 bucks. StewMac also seemed to have a cheaper option that worked out and Tubedepot used to have a 6 dollar option for a box. If customs didn't slow it down it would sometimes arrive in 5 days.
They are trying to discourage shipping across the border. Why?
  • They have to fill out customs forms which takes extra time.
  • They have to handle inquiries about where the item is even though it's stuck in customs.
  • Items have a greater chance of being lost when they cross borders leading to bad reviews.
  • Costly refunds where they end up paying not only for the product, but the shipping and the refund. Essentially, paying 2.5x times the cost of the product

·
Premium Member
11,835 Posts
You think it's bad now? Wait till this generation kills of the remainder of the 'brick and mortar' stores. When shipping is your only option, it's gonna go through the roof. They'll add on environmental fees, gas surcharges, tire recycling extras, whatever. And then expect at tip at the door for doing their grade 8 job.

I'm kinda glad I'm old and won't see this reach it's ultimate end. And get off my lawn.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
You think it's bad now? Wait till this generation kills of the remainder of the 'brick and mortar' stores. When shipping is your only option, it's gonna go through the roof. They'll add on environmental fees, gas surcharges, tire recycling extras, whatever. And then expect at tip at the door for doing their grade 8 job.

I'm kinda glad I'm old and won't see this reach it's ultimate end. And get off my lawn.
easy, this generation is only doing what they've been taught, and they aren't the only ones doing it. when the smarter and cheaper option is to buy online I'd take it any day, it is also the only choice sometimes

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
They are trying to discourage shipping across the border. Why?
  • They have to fill out customs forms which takes extra time.
  • They have to handle inquiries about where the item is even though it's stuck in customs.
  • Items have a greater chance of being lost when they cross borders leading to bad reviews.
  • Costly refunds where they end up paying not only for the product, but the shipping and the refund. Essentially, paying 2.5x times the cost of the product
I get that and its expected, if I ran a small business I would think twice about shipping to the Canadians.

·
Premium Member
11,835 Posts
easy, this generation is only doing what they've been taught, and they aren't the only ones doing it. when the smarter and cheaper option is to buy online I'd take it any day, it is also the only choice sometimes
But I think they worry too much about the last couple of bucks they're gonna save and don't appreciate the services they can get from a storefront. To much attention paid on price (pun intended) at the expense of everything else. Hey, I know a guy that recommends buying everything in the US and shipping it to the border (I hope his customers take his advice). I grew up in a small town - everything was mail-order. I was happy to move to the city and be able to go to a store and try things on, try things out, talk to product experts in the stores, etc.

I don't look forward to a day when I can't walk into a music store and play a few guitars through a few amps. But, yea, I'll save a couple bucks. Oh wait, no I won't, I'm already 'well stocked'.

Reactions: vadsy

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Seller charging $92 for shipping a pedal is clueless and doesn't know how to ship. Apparently used whatever the fastest/most expensive option was.

Just to compare, you can go to the USPS site and plug in the dimensions/weight for yourself and you'll see how ridiculous that $92 rate is.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sellers also use higher than USPS postal calculator rates to lower their price but hide profit it in shipping costs. I'd be all over GuitarFetish if the shipping wasn't through the roof. Yeah, there's a cost to fill in a customs form but honestly, that's 5 minutes work. If possible for those of us close to the border, there are many options (like a UPS store) to have US sourced items shipped to for cheap or to take advantage of free shipping. Cross the border, pick it up, declare it on the way back. People in the Ottawa region do it all the time in Ogdensburg NY, like my son who is picking up a bike frame tomorrow, $200 to Ottawa, $15 plus another $11 in handling + bridge tolls, 2 hour round trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts