1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To ship a guitar within Canada.
Who with and ± how much ?
Your experience ?

To ship it, I am going to double box it (+ bubble wrap) since I don't have a case. Will also support the neck and headstock with a piece of wood for added security.

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
It varies obviously on weight, how far, how fast it's to be shipped and insurance.

I'm in Ontario and shipped one to the bush in BC somewhere and it was @ $180 through CP.
The guitar was insured for @ $1200 and it was in a HSC.
I've recieved one from NFLD and it was around the same cost.
Both of those were electric guitars with cases.

I received a bass from Edmonton by bus and it was almost half the cost, but the tracking sucked.
Took three days to leave the city, then the next time I went to track it, the number came up non-existant.
I figured that it was gonzo, but it showed up at the door a few days later.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Thanks sulphur
I want to try selling on Reverb in Canada only, and wonder about what to offer as shipping costs.
You can get shipping quotes on Canadapost.ca. A typical guitar box is 44x18x8 (sometimes 48x18x8) and 25lbs. I waiver on this but i have found that generally, if you include FREE shipping, it tends to help the sale (ie include a shipping cost in your price).

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
It is nice to have the shipping cost included in the asking price,
but that can vary so much depending on where it's going.
The difference between you shipping within your province, or even ALTA,
than to the east coast for example, can be substantial.

I've heard of lots of guys using couriers within Canada because there are no brokerage fees.

Everything I've shipped out has been through Canada Post.
If you're going to be moving a bunch of gear, it's worth looking into a Small Business Solutions card from CP.
That was previously known as the Ventire 1 card. Just ask about it at your local PO.

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
I agree with capnjim...id ballpark it at about $50 for basic service, with tracking number/signature.

·
Registered
15,293 Posts
If I recall correctly, shipping an electric guitar from here to Calgary....regular post....cost me about $35 or so. A box about the same size and weight from here to Saskatoon by the Dog was less and got there faster.

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
I just Expidited a LP today, from Sudbury to Peterborough.
It was forty bucks and change before insurance, final cost was double that afterwards.
Ninety some bucks, within Ontario.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts