The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Shipping a Tube Amp from Calgary to Toronto

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  PBGas 
#1 ·
What is the best way to do this?

Seller, nor I have experience doing this.

No box. No cover.

No great hurry.

No body I know driving east

Carr Rambler combo, bit bigger than Princeton.

5 tubes currently in sockets

Looking for guidance in all aspects, including cold weather.

Thank you in advance.

Larry

#2 ·
this is going to sound way out there, but when i bought my Fender VVRI from vancouver, it came inside a suitcase. The amp was wrapped to death in bubble wrap and zipped up. Other than that, head over to the local L&M and ask them for amp boxes before they toss them in the garbage bin

#4 ·
Canada Post, UPS Store, and the like are good sources for boxes. But the key is stuffing it very well so the amp doesn’t move. Pad it on all sides.

If the tubes aren’t falling out of the sockets, they’re fine. Lots of internet arguments over this. If it was vintage with valuable tubes, I’d remove them. But a Rambler is new, and they’re extremely well built.

#5 · (Edited)
Pack it so there is no movement at all. If it is heavy, it will be bottom loaded in a trailer or truck, whichever carrier you use. Fortify the corners mostly. If you can isolate it in the box as well, that's a good idea. Punctures from other packages are common on boxes with air between the box side and the product inside. Cover the grill with something that is stronger than cardboard if possible. Saving a few dollars on packaging can cost lots more in damage repair or product replacement. I work in the shipping business and was damage inspector for my employer for 3 years. 90% of damages are at point of shipping. Pack it like you'd like to see an amp shipped to you. Don't cheap out. It does not always save money.

#9 ·
  • Remove the tubes and bubble wrap
  • Put something (at least cardboard) over the grill cloth
  • Assuming you don’t have styrofoam to steady the amp in the box (and keep it away from the box sides in case of punctures), double box it. To make an inner box, I’ll often custom cut a bigger box to fit and tape it tight around the amp. You can then add padding (ideally packing pellets) to make the inner box fit snugly into your outer box

#12 ·
if they are nicer tubes I certainly would take them out and wrap them, if a dude only wants to do the bare minimum to ship you an amp I probably wouldn't do business with him.

the corners are important and getting rid of any movement is important. I also agree that the front and possibly back should have a little extra protection against punctures.

I've received amps that are boxed with pieces of thinner rigid insulation, then the cardboard box plus a piece of thin plywood type material over the speaker grill. sometimes it has the handle exposed and sometimes not, I'm personally mixed on that.

here is how I do it

Box Plastic Carton Packing materials Cardboard
Plastic Technology Cable Wire Peripheral
Plastic Composite material Rectangle Natural material Silver
Tan Beige Rectangle Paper product Paper
Rectangle Composite material Steel

#13 ·
A forum member shipped me an amp packed w dollar store pool noodles and I’ve been using them ever since.

I build a small cradle around the amp with the noodles protecting the corners, top and bottom and wrap the amp with shipping plastic and line the inside of the box walls w hard styrofoam and pack the little extra space with strong cardboard rectangles where needed for extra support and make sure amp is super tight and won’t slide around.

Printing a bigclear to and from label and taping to the top of box is helpful as well.

I think it’s good Practice to remove tubes and put them back in their individual boxes for shipping and labelling the position they come out of on the boxes but might be overkill.

#15 ·
Love the pool noodles, great idea.

I have shipped or received likely 50 or more amps. Never had a problem.

Dr Z use a foam (spray foam ? ) in the bottom of the box that makes the box unusable again, but a great inch or more of "suspension". I have used spray foam and had good luck with it. It's the stuff used to fill gaps in concrete or duct work.

#16 ·
Get the package insured and have proof of value and transaction.
I received an amp once that fell apart when box cut open.
Package was intact on the outside
Could only guess what happened ...
FedEx said they will come to inspect and sent a cheque to the sender.
They didn’t even come to check it out.
Pictures sufficed.

#17 ·
I usually use that pink rigid foam insulation that you can buy at home centres to line the box, + wrap the amp in bubble wrap. Have also used re-cycled pieces of rigid foam when I've had that on hand.

That being said, I like the pool noodle idea shown above and will try that if I ship another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.