The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this guitar for a couple days now and I just keep liking it more all the time. It is a Korean make but man have they ever gotten good at building guitars. I was kind of looking for a Dot when this came along. Now I'm glad it did, it plays a lot better than most dots I've played in the last couple years, epi or gibson. As soon as I can put it down I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice to hear you pulled the trigger and are enjoying it. Beautiful guitars.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's some pics as promised, excuse the quality I'm not up on photo taking.

It still has the Gibson truss rod cover..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've always loved the Sheraton, but oddly enough I've never owned one...

I just love the headstock and they're pretty reasonable in price too..

what I don't under stand is why a Genuine 335 is so bloody expensive, between the sheraton and the 335, the only real difference is the electronics and the type of finish. Before anyone jusmps on me I'm talking about body wood, they are both laminates. If the Gibson was all solid wood, I think the price could be justified, but when push comes to shove, I'll be buying the sheraton as well..

Good job.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I really like the classic old look of this guitar. Very, very cool. Nice score!

While I'm sure there are many reasons the Gibson would be worth more, I like to refer to it as "the law of diminishing returns". From a good starting point (ie, not a cheap guitar), every extra $ you spend gets you less and less value.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i have to agree with you. For the extra dollars i'd have to put out for a dot I really wouldn't be getting that much more guitar. I did a final set up on it last night and it plays like a dream, tone wise i put it to the test tomorrow night. Anyway enjoying a really nice guitar at a really nice price. :wave:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sheraton II rocks

I own a Sheraton II just like yours since august 2002.

It's simply the best guitar I played. I have many others (Gibson, Fender) but this one with its low price and Gibson pick ups just does it for me.

By the way: what is the pick up model on this baby?:DevilGuitar: 490s?:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what variety are in it they sound good, it was made in 95 and I haven't researched to know what's there . Maybe you can help....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sheraton II pups

Frankly man I don't have a clue

I remember this "Gibson pickups" transparent stickers where on my humbuckers when I purchased the axe. Nothing on the Epiphone web site either.

Anybody can help us out?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought this used so there were no stickers, haven't pulled the pups, maybe on the next string change. They are not mini buckers but they sound pretty good. When i first bought the guitar I thought about changing pups but after playing it for a while i'm not so sure..

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice guitar. Need one of those myself...

The pickups in the Epi's have changed so many times I'm not even gonna try to figure out what was stock in your guitar. I do know that the stock P-U's in most Epi's up until about 4 years ago were dime store junk for the most part. My 2000 G-400 had horrendous pickups in it. Actually, the neck pickup is still stock. It actually sounds kinda funky but squeals like a banshee with the least amount of gain & volume.

The newer Epi's have "authorized by Gibson made in U.S.A" pickups. What that really means I don't know. I think they're now all potted (unlike the old ones), and it probably means the manufacture is outsourced so they're not "authentic" Gibson. I don't know how good they really are.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gonna give them another try out tonight so I'll see how they cut. The guitar build is great so pick ups could always be in order if need be...

·
Registered
698 Posts
They may be just fine. You never know. As I said, they changed almost yearly. I would expect some of the older ones probably had decent pickups in them. Pickups are like speakers though - totally subjective. What I hated you may really dig.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gave them another go the other night and I would have to say the jury is still out, they sounded good but until I get my own amp back it will be hard to truly judge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My sheraton is just like yours. Very nice guitars indeed.

Lately I haven't even touched my other guitars. Now that school's out my sheraton has become an extension of my arm.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea most of mine are getting a holiday right know as i aquaint myself with the sheraton. It's a great guitar, and has satisfied my gas for a 335 type guitar. On top of that they a nice piece of work, body and neck bindings, neck and headstock inlay.... had a few compliments about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts