The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will kill resale value. If you don't care about that there is nothing to lose. Just be mindful of the truss rod cavity and don't cut too deep. I'd probably start working the shoulders towards a soft V profile first.
Not too concerned with resale but I hear you about the truss rod.
Fellow down the hall had a Godin 6 string cut down to a 4 string, the weirdest thing I have ever seen. It was done by a Luthier and what a beautiful job.
It is a solid body electric.
Kinda like a Ukulele or Bango.
When I first saw it I thought it was a Bass.
A weird thing Indeed.

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
I'd do it by hand with sandpaper all the way, no rasps or files or electric machines. Tape off the fretboard and edges if you don't want to narrow it, grab a sheet of 100-150 grit cut to fit and go to town. That way you don't have an 'OOPS!' moment all at once (still possible I suppose but you'll recognize it earlier and do less damage). As you get close to your desired shape, go down to 400, I'd finish with 1000 grit. It takes some time and elbow grease for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a LTD Viper that has a crappy feeling neck, I think I'm gonna try this too. The corner of the headstock needs repair anyway. I'll just oil the back of the neck and headstock when I'm done.

Thanks, at first I thought this thread was silly but it's actually inspiring.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts