The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5000 Yellow ribbons (in support of Canadian Troops) were donated to the City of Calgary to be displayed on all city of Calgary owned vehicles and to be made available to the public who might also like to display one on their vehicle.

Mayor Bronconnier and 10 concellors voted against displaying the ribbons in supprt of Canadian troops (Mciver motion) and then changed the motion to allow the City of Calgary to sell the donated ribbons to the general public in city facilities. These ribbons were donated by a private individual/company (Sean Burnand of Canwest Labels) who could have easily recouped his costs bell selling the ribbons himself.

Only 4 concellors in the city of Calgary voted to support Canadian Troops.

If you are a constituent of the City of Calgary, please let your Mayor and the 'Terrible Ten' that voted against supporting our troops know how you feel about this.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Only 4 concellors in the city of Calgary voted to support Canadian Troops.
No, only 4 voted to put the decals on city vehicles. That is not the same thing as supporting Canadian troops. A sticker on a car will not keep the guys overseas from being shot at. It's just a sticker.

C

·
0 Posts
Yes.. It's just a sticker...

If you want to really 'support the troops' then lobby your government to get them the hell outa the Middle East!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes.. It's just a sticker...

If you want to really 'support the troops' then lobby your government to get them the hell outa the Middle East!
Absolutely, I agree Clinton! As for the City of Calgary, selling things that were donated is very low.

C

·
0 Posts
When you give someone something, it's theirs to do with as they please... If they turn around and sell it, that's their business.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I will say when I was driving through the southern US with one of these on my vehicle people were noticeably chiller towards us. But they are hilarious.

http://evolvefish.com/
I go to the Southern states often, but I always fly and rent a car at the other end.

Still, I'd love to get one. I get weary of the constant symbols of faith everywhere I look.

Edit

Just ordered a couple. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'd be suprised at how much moral support returning troops get out of those little stickers. (I don't have one on my car either BTW). Same goes for the bridge/overpass memorials.

From what I am told, the City of Calgary does not want to support the war in Afghanistan, so they don't want to put the stickers on their vehicles.

Not supporting our troops because you don't agree with the war that they are fighting is allot like neglecting your children because your wife is not as hot as she was before you got her pregnant.

C

·
0 Posts
"You'd be suprised at how much moral support returning troops get out of those little stickers."
According to what or whom?

"Not supporting our troops because you don't agree with the war that they are fighting is allot like neglecting your children because your wife is not as hot as she was before you got her pregnant."
I'd appreciate it if you'd define what you mean by "Support".... Cause what could possibly be more supportive than getting them OUT of a dangerous place they have no business being in in the first place?

"I get weary of the constant symbols of faith everywhere I look."
+1!

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
You'd be suprised at how much moral support returning troops get out of those little stickers. (I don't have one on my car either BTW). Same goes for the bridge/overpass memorials.

From what I am told, the City of Calgary does not want to support the war in Afghanistan, so they don't want to put the stickers on their vehicles.

Not supporting our troops because you don't agree with the war that they are fighting is allot like neglecting your children because your wife is not as hot as she was before you got her pregnant.

I support our troops. I do NOT support their activities in Afghanistan. Our soldiers are doing the job they've been tasked with and they deserve our respect and support for that.

I would not display an emblem that implied support of our activities in Afghanistan.

People like to brand those who are against this war as unpatriotic or anti-soldier.

That's nonsense IMO.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"You'd be suprised at how much moral support returning troops get out of those little stickers."
According to what or whom?
According to them. I do my part for a non-profit organization that has both active and verteran members of the Canadian forces - some of which are currently deployed. Those little stickers mean something to the people that matter. More so, when a city outright declines to put them on government vehicles it hits their news feeds. They don't hear about John Q Public putting a sticker on their car, but they definately heard what the city of Calgary has done.

Imagine what that does to your day when you are trudging around in 60 degree heat in full gear wondering when the next roadside bomb is going to jump up and bite either yourself or one of your buddies.

"Not supporting our troops because you don't agree with the war that they are fighting is allot like neglecting your children because your wife is not as hot as she was before you got her pregnant."
I'd appreciate it if you'd define what you mean by "Support".... Cause what could possibly be more supportive than getting them OUT of a dangerous place they have no business being in in the first place?
Support is standing up for them when someone (like the City of Calgary) disrespects them.

The Canadian Military Troops are not complaining about performing their duty in Afghanistan, at least the ones I've heard from are not.

If you are going to fight a war, its best to fight it in another country than to wait untill they bring it to yours.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
If you are going to fight a war, its best to fight it in another country than to wait untill they bring it to yours.

What war? Afghanistan has not attacked Canada. We're in there kicking a$$ in a very American way.

Rest assured, Islamic extremists have LONG memories and know how to hold a grudge.

All we're doing is motivating them to attack Canada.

If I was an Afghani I'd be looking for any way possible to harrass and generally harm any occupying soldier.

Again, the best way to support our troops IMO is to bring them home.:smilie_flagge17:

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
I'm not a big fan of "ribbon campaigns" generally. Firstly, it's purely a token of support that seems to relieve people of any moral obligation to do anything substantive about a cause. Secondly, these ribbon campaigns seem mostly to be an attempt to establish those who are "with us" and those who are "against us". If you don't wear a yellow ribbon, you hate the troops. If you don't wear a red ribbon, you are anti-gay. If you don't wear a white or pink ribbon, you hate women. The whole thing doesn't sit well with me.
Although I never really articulated it like that, I feel the same way.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Were are not at war with Afghanistan. If we are at war with anyone, it is the Islamic Extreamists. That is why we are still over there, as the job is not yet done, and won't be finished for some time.

Don't confuse the Afghan and Iraq wars - Canada in Afghanistan is nothing at all like the US in Iraq - there are no paralells what so ever (other than the obvious death and destruction, war thing). The Afghani people's reception of NATO troops has been good, it's just the bad guys that will be holding a grudge.

Canada is a NATO country and we have to honour our agreements and do our part. We are not about to welch on our word as a country. We kept our integrity when Jean Cretien refused to go to war in Iraq under pressure from the US. Why would we suddenly start doing the wrong thing?

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Were are not at war with Afghanistan. If we are at war with anyone, it is the Islamic Extreamists. That is why we are still over there, as the job is not yet done, and won't be finished for some time.

Don't confuse the Afghan and Iraq wars - Canada in Afghanistan is nothing at all like the US in Iraq - there are no paralells what so ever (other than the obvious death and destruction, war thing). The Afghani people's reception of NATO troops has been good, it's just the bad guys that will be holding a grudge.

Canada is a NATO country and we have to honour our agreements and do our part. We are not about to welch on our word as a country. We kept our integrity when Jean Cretien refused to go to war in Iraq under pressure from the US. Why would we suddenly start doing the wrong thing?

Who are WE to say the Taliban are the bad guys?

Do you suppose they think they are?

No need to carry this on. I mean no offence to you but we'll simply not agree on this. The ONLY way I would EVER try to kill another human being is if he or she posed a direct and iminent threat to me or my family.

That means invasion. In that case I would be remarkably similar to the freedom fighters in Iraq or the Taliban in Afghanistan.

I'd smile to their faces and stab them in the back any chance I got. You'll never have a fight with me unless you pick one, and then all's fair.

If the Ahghanis want their freedom, they should fight for it themsleves not have it handed to them. It's meaningless that way.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I support our troops. I do NOT support their activities in Afghanistan. Our soldiers are doing the job they've been tasked with and they deserve our respect and support for that.

I would not display an emblem that implied support of our activities in Afghanistan.

People like to brand those who are against this war as unpatriotic or anti-soldier.

That's nonsense IMO.
I second that. Well said Milkman.

The question you should be asking yourself is how and why the Islamic Extremists became extremists in the first place. The US is now at war to make a select number of people a lot of money. Simple as that. IMO. I have no idea why we are there other than we were being intimidated by the US to go.

The current "war" in Afghanistan will only serve to fuel the fire of the extremist assholes that just want to blow shit up.

I would like nothing more than to have our troops brought home!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.