The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time in the future, I'd like to get a solid body with HBs. So today, I walked into L&M in T.O. I noodled acoustically on a number of Les Pauls (Gibbies, not Epis) and a few SGs, There were a couple of standards that called to me a little bit, and a studio which sounded better and felt better than the standards. But the SGs ! There was this SG faded, walnut colour, that called the loudest. Not loud enough to say "Buy Me On Credit" though. But still good.

There are two things, not sound related, that first draw me to a guitar:

1. The NECK. It was the easiest to play of all the axes and just felt good. I loved the easy access to the high frets. I found the heel of the LP getting in the way, somewhat.

2. The Feel of the Whole Guitar. The SG felt more comfortable. It felt like it fit. (That's what I liked about my Hamer P90 Special)

Now, with the exception of the heel, somewhat, I liked the LP, but the SG, like I said before, fit.

But the SG doesn't have a much wood, I assume you can get the right sound with the right hardware and electronics. Hey, Early Carlos Santana. Frank Marino, Angus Young, Derek Trucks. That's just off the top of my head.

Big feature, is the price. The SG is cheaper to make and doesn't have the snob appeal which also, I speculate, increases the LP price too.

How does everyone else feel about this?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Never owned an SG but have had the chance to play a couple. I like them but I liked the feel of the LP over it. I like the access to the upper neck the SG has. Just my opinion and maybe I haven't played the right one. As you have listed there are many who have made them sound great. Thats what Capton used to develope his "woman tone".
They do have a vibe to them... You'll figure it out... :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sounds like you want the sound of a LP but prefer the feel of the SG. Is that right? I'd say play a few more of both models and see if the LP's have something you can't live without soundwise. If not, it seems you would be happy with an SG. You'll probably find most LP's will have a heavier bottom/mid which adds to the "doubletone" sound of a humbuckered LP. With modern amps and pedals, sustain is a non issue.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I've owned an SG for 20 years now. I've allway loved the look and feel and sound of the SG. I still need to take the leap for a LP... when? I'm not sure but it will be in the next 5 years I figure.

Khing

·
Registered
635 Posts
As you know, I'm an SG guy. I've liked the way they looked from the day I started playing guitar. On a practical level, I really like how light they can be and the access to the upper frets. In terms of how they sound, you just have to play a bunch of them. I've played lots that were kind of muddy sounding, but with the right pickups, they can really shine. I love the classic '57s in mine. Also, I really like the neck as well.

In terms of Les Pauls, I just find them a little too heavy and they don't sit right on my hip. Maybe it's the way I strum or whatever, but they just don't feel right. And I'm sure this is shallow and a huge generalization, but the majority of people that rock the Les Pauls are Slash-worshipping chumps that play in boring bands that sound like Nickelback. Of course, nobody on these boards fits that generalization.

Unfortunately, SGs are popular with the eyeliner wearing "emos" now, so I'm really not sure if I'm in particularly great company either. Haha.

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nine said:
Oh yeah- and my purple SG is still for sale. Buy it!
Yeah. I've seen it. Right now I planning/dreaming. But,... Clutch, Brakes, Drive Clean, remember? :frown:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not really referring to the older dudes that play them. I'm referring to the young rock dudes that play in terrible bands. If you've seen one of these bands at a bar, you know what I'm talking about. And if you've seen one- you've seen them all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Love me my SGs...I'm a sucker for them and the new ones coming out are sidetracking me from affording a PRS...maybe it just wasn't meant to be? :tongue:

With regard to the guitar being neck-heavy..get yourself a nice 2" strap and it should fix the problem. I use Levy's Tear Wear 2" Heavy Cotton straps - problem solved.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I've always loved the look of SG's but I've never owned one. When I was a kid they were so closely identified with Angus Young that if you happened to have one you had an "Angus guitar". :smile:

I'm not a big fan of the neck heel on the current standards but I do like the '61 neck joint (save for it's potential floppiness). On the other hand I don't like the super skinny feeling neck on the '61's and prefer the chunkier feel of the current Standards and Specials. I haven't tried a Historic SG but I bet that would be right up my alley.

That said I prefer a double cutaway Les Paul Junior when in comes to neck shape, neck joint and upper fret access.

Jim

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i'm definitely an sg guy, and would love to have one built for me one day: three p90s, single volume control (close to the strings), wraparound bridge and locking tuners. all black or all white.

can't play a les paul - just can't navigate that enormous neck.

-dh

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm another SG guy. I agree with the neck heavy comment - they all are. But I don't like the bulkiness of the LP, but I do love the tone.

The LP is naturally a bit thicker sounding than the SG, but with the right pickups that's not an issue. I like the Duncan JB/59 combo in that guitar (well, any mahagony fixed bridge axe really).

That said, my SG Special with 490's kills. I have another one with a JB that I love too. The 490's are more raw/vintage. The JB/59 sounds a bit smoother & drives a little harder.

Just my experience.

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim Jones said:
That said I prefer a double cutaway Les Paul Junior when in comes to neck shape, neck joint and upper fret access.

Jim
That's what I like about my Hamer P90 Special - Hamer's take on the LP DC Special.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts