The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Ad says it's been renecked (although I would severely doubt that to be a NOS 1968 neck):

"1966 sg custom refinish in original blue re necked with a nos 68 neck with 68 serial number all Gibson parts but incorrect years one t top pickup and two dirty fingers kluson double line tuners maestro shorty trem incorrect pots great player original fret less wonder 1400 with newer Gibson case pictures to follow this guitar will not be shipped or delivered"

The body may be Gibson, and the assorted parts could be correct, but it is not really a 1966 Gibson SG any longer...

John
thegrumpyoldman

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing about that guitar "looks" right.
I agree. Lol.

The neck alignment is way off and the serial number stamping sure isn't right.

I was thinking the same thing tho as Grumpy --- the body may be a real SG body.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Is it just the photo angles or is the upper "horn" on the guitar longer than the bottom one?
The upper, or bass side, horn on SGs is always longer than the bottom, or treble side, horn. Not by much, but oddly enough, you notice it more when looking at an righty SG from the back, or a lefty SG from the front. One way to spot possible fake SG bodies is when the horns are both identical in length. Although not really an SG, the only Gibson SG-styled body that I can think of at the moment which has identical horns would be the EDS-1275....

John
thegrumpyoldman

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Looks like an original '68 neck (note the narrow string spacing), but the body is all wrong. Maybe someone built it? Poor attempt to add a serial number?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Everything just looks slightly off...at least to me.I think its a Chibson. If Im wrong it would be a great deal but that serial number....i just dont know.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
A ‘66 Custom would have a batwing gaurd & a Lyre Vibrola. That type of trem is from a Special or Jr. & the guard looks homemade.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
With that serial number, its a moo point as to whether or not its a real Gibson neck. Some kind of home made fake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts