The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Duncan Custom/Custom and Pearly Gates good idea?

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old set of a bridge customcustom and a neck pearly gates. I have them in a jackson guitar, but I was wondering if you guys think they would sound good in my hamm HLS hardtail. any good?

and is the string spacing different? ill check later, but just curious if anybody knows.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No harm in trying it, it's just simple soldering... do you like the tone of them in the current guitar? Jackson is what, alder body? Hamm is basswood, and from my experience passives just sound a little brighter in alder than basswood. Other than that, there shouldn't be much difference.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Let us know how it works out. If you have a decent mic you should record how the Jackson sounds then switch the pickups, play with the Hamm Guitar and compare that to the recording. I used to do that quite a bit with the ol' SM58.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have a decent microphone right now actually. I decided to change the pickups later when I need a string change, since I dont have a pack of strings right now anyway to replace the ones I will have to take off.

I might have access to an M-audio thing so Ill see. thanks!

·
Banned
153 Posts
youll like that Gates neck. I wouldnt try the custom custom tho-too much midrange. Try a pearly gates bridge, a JB or a Custom 5 in the bridge, maybe a Distorrtion. All of them will work with the Pearly gates neck-which is a great pickup.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok then. I was on the seymourduncan forum and they said that too, that the custom custom will be too midrangy. I will therefore get a JB probably. Thanks! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts