The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to teles and I am really GASsing for one right now.

I'm thinking either an American Vintage '62 reissue or a classic series 60s tele.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with these models and if there is a quality difference that justifies the price difference between the two.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
For the money the Classic series are great. However, for the money the CIJ (Crafted In Japan) models are a much better deal. Even with shipping you can get one for well less than the high end MIM Fenders. And they come with Fender USA pickups and hardware. You can find them used locally a lot of times too. They make a BEAUTIFUL 62' RI and they are only about $650 Canadian with shipping from somewhere like Ishibashi (huge Japan music store).

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i can identify.

recently i've gotten it bad for teles - its become an obsession. i have two, and crave more.

the music store guys, when i confess my addiction, just smile knowingly and proclaim: "eventually, they all come around."

a 52 reissue will bring you to your knees.

-dh

·
Registered
526 Posts
if you can find one, try a 1980's MIJ droptop w/basswood body.
I've owned MIA and MIM as well but they just don't have that "thang" my MIJ has.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
And don't sell the MIM models short. I never thought that I would buy a Made in Mexico guitar, but my Muddy Waters Tele puts some of my U.S. made Teles to shame. The fit & finish and playability makes it one of favorite guitars. And it's got looks to kill!

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
david henman said:
a 52 reissue will bring you to your knees.

-dh
While they are the perfect looking guitar, vintage frets and 7.25" radius necks aren't for everyone though. Most of the CIJ Fenders have the same specs. I had a CIJ 52' RI that was a BEAUTIFUL guitar, but ended up selling it because it didn't suit me (another forum member bought it). The only Fender line that offers more neck choices on a budget is the MIM line.

Hey tarbender what pickup is that in the neck of your Muddy?

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Hey Benee, they're Bill Lawrence pickups. Had Fralin Blues Specials before but the Bill Lawrence have just a little more clarity to them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Tarbender that info came right from the Ishibashi site - Mr./ Ms.Koichi Tanimoto/International Sales Agent.
So I don't know diddley about Bill Lawrence or Fralins. All I know is Made in U.S.A. Texas Specials.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
546 Posts
I looked at the Japanese sight. They have some nice stuff a pretty good pricing.

My only worry is buying something I've never played. What if I don't like it.

The answer is sell it. You could flip one of those Japanese models without getting financially hurt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thanks for your input everybody.

I'm still very undecided. I'll probably just try to calm down my GAS by playing my others.

Man those teles are beautiful though...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Hey Southbound...

A sugestion that may relieve GAS for a short period.

There is a new Tele comming out called the BAJA...check it out on the fender site.

This baby sounds interesting. The pickup choices are good and the control switch should be amazing.

Heres the good part...there doesnt seem to be any of them around in the stores yet. Dont buy a Tele untill you play one of these and it should give you a reprieve for a few months. In the meantime you can try out all the teles you want knowing that if you dont like the BAJA, there is allways plab B.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Benee Wafers said:
Hey Tarbender that info came right from the Ishibashi site - Mr./ Ms.Koichi Tanimoto/International Sales Agent.
So I don't know diddley about Bill Lawrence or Fralins. All I know is Made in U.S.A. Texas Specials.
Benee Wafers

He got mixed up and answered my question with your username. I was asking him what pickups were in his Muddy Waters Tele because I noticed they weren't stock. A CIJ 52' RI does indeed come stock with Texas Specials. I know becuse I owned one :) .

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Southbound said:
Well thanks for your input everybody.
I'm still very undecided. I'll probably just try to calm down my GAS by playing my others. Man those teles are beautiful though...
..why not play a few MIM teles?

-dh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts