The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a Fender Stage 112se with original 2 button footswitch. I've had it since 1996 and I'm the only owner. I've never gigged with it and it looks brand new.

I never really loved it but it served me well for jams etc over the years. I haven't really used it for the last 6 years though. It is freakin loud and not very practical for home practice, especially with a wife and 2 toddlers. I have a Blackstar HT1-RH that has been my number one the last 6 years. It sounds amazing and doesn't anger the wife!

So it's time to part with my Fender Stage 112. Everything works fine including the original footswitch and it is in excellent cosmetic condition. It does however have a lot of dust contamination, especially noticeble when you roll the knobs. I tried taking the speaker out and cleaning it and disassembled the reverb box and cleaned it. I couldn't figure out how to remove the control panel to see if I could clean it as well. I was able to blow out a lot of dust from he cabinet and speaker area using a can of compressed air.

At this point I'm thinking about taking it to a local shop and have them do a professional clean on it to get it ready for sale. I'm not going to get much for it with all the dust noise every time a buyer adjusts a knob.

How much should I expect to pay to have the amp cleaned?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wouldn't bother taking it to a tech. if you can remove the amplifier chassis from the cabinet you can spray some contact cleaner into the pots and that should clear it up.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You can ping Alexander James from Peterborough. He is both making / repairing guitars and amps and is wonderful guy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to L&M today but they weren't much help. Apparently their Peterborough store is "too small" to do in house repairs on amps so they wanted to send it to their Pickering store for assessment. The craziest part was they wanted me to agree to send it without even giving me a ball park estimate on price or time!

I got the name of another local independent shop that fixes amps called Bench Tech here in Peterborough.

I tried to take apart the amp today and clean it myself. I managed to remove the speaker and the reverb box and clean those and reinstall but could not figure out how to remove the control panel/electronics. Does anyone have a video showing how to do that? Also after my own testing I know a lot can be remedied with contact cleaner but there might be a couple of pots needing replacement. Does anyone have a video showing how to do that too?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Yes, usually four screws on top and the chassis should come out. Contact cleaner in all pots and you should be good to go. If you have a friend that is a bit of a noodler, maybe get some help. Best of luck

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
There may also be 2 more screws on the sides. Hopefully the pots are accessible and it's not an 'upside down' circuit board.
Take pictures and post them if you run into any snags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts