The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I was toying with this idea for awhile, but decided a sim isn't for me. I like an amp.

If I did, I'd seriously look at the Fractal FM3.

Reactions: AJ6stringsting

·
Registered
838 Posts
Fractal FM3 (since you have reverb and any other effect you need)... and the cleans sound very, very good (better than the hi-gain amps, to my ears). I like the Line 6 FRFR, as you can select a cab model or go completely flat (and use the cab sims in the FM3). I presume there's no house PA, as you can go direct to that without a FRFR.

·
Registered
332 Posts
So I read worship in one of the posts @guitarman2, does your church use IEM's? I've used an HX stomp for years now and love it, I'm either full digital that I run direct or the HX stomp is used as a catch all for whatever missing effect I want and then I run into the front end of my amp as it has no effects loop. I've heard the headrush is a decent FRFR if finances are a bit tighter but the line6 power cab is a much better product but cost quite a bit more.

If the plan is to ever go full IEMs don't cheap out on your IEMs, I've seen so many people complain that digital sounds like crap and they are using $20 dollar headphones and say its flat and lifeless compared to their multi thousand dollar amp. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on IEMs but research them a bit and make sure they are decent. In that vein though I went from Shure SE215's to Custom triple driver IEMs and it made a world of a difference, if you can splurge for customs I definitely would.

As for which digital solution or amp less solution is right for you do you want effects? Just amp/cab? and do you need/want different styles of amps? Personally if it was me Id look at the Iridium and Walrus ACS1 if its just amps and happy with an Blackface/Vox/Marshall combo of amps, if you needed/wanted effects or a bit extra for a bit more I'd go the HX Stomp route. What's nice about the HX stomp is if you go stereo you get to choose what amps you use and have quite a bit of flexibility as it has all the options of the helix but with less DSP. There is also the FM3/9 fractal stuff is fantastic but has a price tag attached to it and their footprints are pretty big, FM3 is a single amp in stereo and FM9 can do dual amps.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes I am using IEM in the worship band as well as my gigging band. I bought the Shure PSM 300. I tried to get the system that came with the 215's but all they had was the one that came with the 112's. It didn't matter as I had no intention on using the earbuds that come with it. I have a decent Westone dual driver that will eventually be a backup as I do intend on getting a better triple driver set.
There is just so many ways to go for a non tube solution that its over whelming. Thats why I'm trying to keep this simple. The dsm simplifier in to an frfr cab. From what I've read this is a great solution for live stage. The dsm will be more like an amp with its knobs. I don't want menu diving and big complicated learning curves. Even with the DSM humboldt there will be some learning curve for me but from what I'm reading its more like an amp experience.
I will definitely check out the Lid 6 power cab. I definitely don't want to cheap out when it comes to the FRFR. The head rush is the only one I could find on the L&M site. But they must have the Line 6 as well
When it comes to the iridium, from my research most are saying the DSM Humboldt is superior for live stage. The iridium is good for recording. I like the idea of analog as opposed to digital.
I see on the L&M site the Line 6 power cab is double the price of the headrush. I was going to buy 2 headrush to run stereo from the DSM. I could start off with one as I'd rather have one thats a better product.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
I know the FRFR cabs are calling. But a good wedge PA speaker is also good. My goto for jams is to rent a E10P ( 350 watt 10" w/ horn) cause I can tweek the bass/treble and the compact floor space. Or the NX55P-2. Bother available at l& m.
Go rent one ( or both) see if you like it.
Costs the same as a burger these days.

Reactions: bw66

·
Registered
11,330 Posts
I recommend trying a Quilter amp if you get a chance. I really like my OD202. It has a nice range of Fender-like sounds. Quilter also makes combos like the Aviator and the Aviator Cub. It might give you something comparable to your Pro Reverb, minus the weight.

I recommend visiting a store and trying an amp simulator (anything, really) through a small PA first to see if you like the sound of full-range. (I prefer a traditional guitar amp for live use, personally.)

For analog pedals, there's also Tech21 Fly Rigs. I think the version 2 editions have the ability to toggle speaker simulation on & off, so it could work with FRFR as well as a guitar amp. I have the Fly Rig Cali and I think it sounds good in front of an FRFR type speaker. Makes a great backup too.
Maggs and I we're in Cuba recently. The Fly Rigs are what every guitarist and bass player are using at the resorts. They sound great too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quite a few options available today - Fractal FM series, HX Stomp/XL, DSM, Quilter OD and Aviator (I'd also add the Superblock US and UK as well) that others have already mentioned. Hughes & Kettner also has the AmpMan and StompMan and then there's also the BluGuitar AMP1. Victory has also updated their V4 pedal amp lineup as well recently but their pricing starts to approach the Quad Cortex range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I keep my tube amps home.

I use a Digitech 2112 SGS, then the left and right signal are fed into two VHT Valvulator 1's and finally into two Crate Power Blocks before going into my speaker cabinets .

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Computer hardware Gas
Audio equipment Electronic instrument Computer hardware Circuit component Machine

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Registered
881 Posts
I recently bought a used Katana 100 head as a backup for my Mesa Electra Dyne and I've been really impressed with it. It sounds and feels way better than I expected and all I really did was turn it on. No fuss whatsoever. Using it with my Mesa cabs. I would try one with your cabs, if you get the chance. (Or maybe your Fillmore is a combo?)

I'm a tube amp guy but have owned all the main modelers (Helix floor, Stomp, FM3, Kemper Stage) with both FRFR and guitar cabs, and the Katana is the quickest and most instantly amp-like (because it is an amp, haha), in my experience.

I haven't tried the Simplifier or the Iridium, though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can pump tubes dynamics into a solid state amp/ power amp.

Solid state is getting better and better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to exploring a non tube solution for playing. I'll still keep my Mesa Fillmore. But I'm thinking of selling my 1966 Fender Pro Reverb to fund a non tube rig.
What has caught my interest is the DSM Humboldt Simplifier deluxe and I guess an FRFR cabinet. I had my eye on the Headrush 112.
Now I know absolutely nothing of this technology, have no hands on experience. So was wondering the thoughts of others who do have more experience. Not really looking for recommendations on other pedal\amp solutions. The DSM Humboldt being analog seems a bit simpler for me to understand and a more complete solution than the Strymon Iridium.
So can anyone tell me would that be all I need for a live setup? The DSM pedal and the FRFR cabinet.
I'd plan a separate pedal board dedicated to this rig.
Just keep us updated about your new set up.

I have some great tube amps ..... you shouldn't sell your old tube amp , you may get " Sellers Remorse " 😱

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,445 Posts
I don't even know if I'll get playing live again after the Covid break. No one I play with is very motivated. I've thought about just keeping my favourite head (Traynor Iron horse) for if a gig situation pips up., Then clear out everything else, and get a solid state combo for general use.

I don't really use pedals, and I've thought a few times that one of the fender tonemasters would likely get me close enough to my sound live. But they just cost too much for me. There's used tube amps I can get, some with scalable wattage, for cheaper. I don't want a full on modeling amp because if never use any of the features.

I've been impressed with how good some of the Orange Crush amps sound (mainly the 35 rt) and a used one of those may be the route I take.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
At last night's gig our band went totally no amps on stage. I was the last holdout with my bass. I was previously using a EHX Battalion DI to the board and a Traynor SB110 as a monitor. We finally got a really nice pair of Yorkville stage monitors so I gave it a try without the Traynor. It took a couple of songs to get used to it but overall I think this is the way we will go for all future gigs. Both guitarists have been using various pedals and Line 6 gear for the last two gigs. The drummer was all electronic last night but that was mostly due to the small stage. I guess IEMs will be next :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts