The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to exploring a non tube solution for playing. I'll still keep my Mesa Fillmore. But I'm thinking of selling my 1966 Fender Pro Reverb to fund a non tube rig.
What has caught my interest is the DSM Humboldt Simplifier deluxe and I guess an FRFR cabinet. I had my eye on the Headrush 112.
Now I know absolutely nothing of this technology, have no hands on experience. So was wondering the thoughts of others who do have more experience. Not really looking for recommendations on other pedal\amp solutions. The DSM Humboldt being analog seems a bit simpler for me to understand and a more complete solution than the Strymon Iridium.
So can anyone tell me would that be all I need for a live setup? The DSM pedal and the FRFR cabinet.
I'd plan a separate pedal board dedicated to this rig.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I use my Quad Cortex for live (and for everything else really). My tube amps haven't been turned on for many years. Before that I had a GT1000 and a few fly rigs. Tried the Helix too.

At home, the Quad Cortex goes into a mixer then out to 2 PA speakers and I use a Morningstar MC6 MIDI controller to get a few more immediate functions (not needed, but handy).

At the rehearsal space, it's basically the same but I use an expression pedal for volume control.

Playing live, it's the same as in the practice space but I add a floor wedge which connects directly to another output on the Quad Cortex.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use my Quad Cortex for live (and for everything else really). My tube amps haven't been turned on for many years. Before that I had a GT1000 and a few fly rigs. Tried the Helix too.

At home, the Quad Cortex goes into a mixer then out to 2 PA speakers and I use a Morningstar MC6 MIDI controller to get a few more immediate functions (not needed, but handy).

At the rehearsal space, it's basically the same but I use an expression pedal for volume control.

Playing live, it's the same as in the practice space but I add a floor wedge which connects directly to another output on the Quad Cortex.
Yeah it sounds like I'm looking for something simpler than what you have going on. I was just looking for the DSM humboldt and an FRFR cabinet to simply replace a tube amp and operate the same as if I had a tube amp on stage. No menues, no digital.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Yeah it sounds like I'm looking for something simpler than what you have going on. I was just looking for the DSM humboldt and an FRFR cabinet to simply replace a tube amp and operate the same as if I had a tube amp on stage. No menues, no digital.
Ah, then there’s many choices out there. You’ll have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I know you said you are not looking for other recommendations. But I just thought being that you are looking for something simple, I'd recommend either the Milkman The Amp 50 or 100. It's really straight forward. Kinda plug and play. All you need is a speaker cab. I am using it for gigs where the stage is really small or when we are doing trio/duo shows.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I recommend trying a Quilter amp if you get a chance. I really like my OD202. It has a nice range of Fender-like sounds. Quilter also makes combos like the Aviator and the Aviator Cub. It might give you something comparable to your Pro Reverb, minus the weight.

I recommend visiting a store and trying an amp simulator (anything, really) through a small PA first to see if you like the sound of full-range. (I prefer a traditional guitar amp for live use, personally.)

For analog pedals, there's also Tech21 Fly Rigs. I think the version 2 editions have the ability to toggle speaker simulation on & off, so it could work with FRFR as well as a guitar amp. I have the Fly Rig Cali and I think it sounds good in front of an FRFR type speaker. Makes a great backup too.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why are you thinking of leaving the tube amp at home? I'm just curious. I have a gig at the end of the month and I'm also thinking of going solid state for this one.
I'm not really thinking of leaving the tube amp for most of the gigs I'll do. I would like to start getting in to a non tube solution as I feel maybe this might be the only option in the future if tubes were to be come obsolete or at the very least prohibitively expensive. As well I'd like to have a small light rig for the church worship band and other really small gigs.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm not yet ready to go over to modelling, and really like Quilter amps as a decent tube alternative.
You owe it to yourself to check out the new Mach 3 and the Aviator models. Before the pandemic, I was gigging a Mach 2 8" -- IMHO, a stealth amp with incredible projection that sounds much bigger than it looks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been giving a lot of thought lately to exploring a non tube solution for playing. I'll still keep my Mesa Fillmore. But I'm thinking of selling my 1966 Fender Pro Reverb to fund a non tube rig.
What has caught my interest is the DSM Humboldt Simplifier deluxe and I guess an FRFR cabinet. I had my eye on the Headrush 112.
Now I know absolutely nothing of this technology, have no hands on experience. So was wondering the thoughts of others who do have more experience. Not really looking for recommendations on other pedal\amp solutions. The DSM Humboldt being analog seems a bit simpler for me to understand and a more complete solution than the Strymon Iridium.
So can anyone tell me would that be all I need for a live setup? The DSM pedal and the FRFR cabinet.
I'd plan a separate pedal board dedicated to this rig.
Can't speak for a live setup, but I have a simplifier deluxe into an acoustic amp. Not quite as flat response as an frfr, but using the amp as a quasi PA.

This is for home use, and the footswitch works well going between 2 amp settings.
Although not quite the same as a tube amp, I find it gets me pretty close

1 - 20 of 38 Posts