The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at getting an Orange head...ive got two 2x12 cabs that run at 8ohms

I found this box to daisy chain the two cabs, so that i can run them at the same time with the Orange (1-16 out, 2-8 out as are most orange amps)
Series Speaker Adapter Box - $30.00 : Bayou Audio Cables, custom handmade cables

Does anyone know where i can find a schematic...i have a feeling i can build it myself and save a few bucks...i dont see the need to rewire a cab, when this would be easier

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
Is this what you are looking for?

Two 8 ohm cabs in series through the PLASTIC box to go to the 16 0hm output of the amp.

Personally, I would use Switchcraft jacks and 16 gauge AWD (stranded) wire.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why plastic? Ground loop?

It also seems like the phase is reversed between in and out2...or am i reading wrong?

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
Why plastic? Ground loop?

It also seems like the phase is reversed between in and out2...or am i reading wrong?
No, one output wouldn't work. Without isolation jacks or a non-conductive enclosure, the ground of 'out 1' would be shorted to the ground of 'out 2', which would create a dead short from the hot to ground of 'out 2' (since the hot of 'out 2' is bonded to ground of 'out 1'). So you'd only get the cab connected to 'out 1' working and you'd be running the amp at half the impedance you'd be expecting.

It isn't a phase reversal you are seeing, that is just the arrangement of a series connection.

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts
No, one output wouldn't work. Without isolation jacks or a non-conductive enclosure, the ground of 'out 1' would be shorted to the ground of 'out 2', which would create a dead short from the hot to ground of 'out 2' (since the hot of 'out 2' is bonded to ground of 'out 1'). So you'd only get the cab connected to 'out 1' working and you'd be running the amp at half the impedance you'd be expecting.

It isn't a phase reversal you are seeing, that is just the arrangement of a series connection.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I was busy and didn't get back to @ezcomes

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
The other option would be plastic (cliff style) jacks in a metal case.
That's what I would do. Overkill for speaker level stuff as a shield isn't so critical due to the signal not being that susceptible to interference anyway, but at least more rugged (and I always have a bunch around). You can also get/make (fiber or plastic or rubber) isolation washers for standard type Jacks (what Traynor used back in the day when Cliff jacks were just not something you saw on this side of the pond), but I'm not sure I trust them as much, but in theory you only need to isolate the middle jack; the other 2 can be grounded to chassis (and then that's 2 less solder joints to worry about).

Isolation Washers for 1/4" Input Jack - Flat, Shoulder | TubeDepot.com

or

Fiber Shoulder Washer

I recommeend 2 'shoulder' washers (back to back, as in the shoulders facing each other) vs what Tube depot says (1 flat + 1 shoulder).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts