Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Hot rodded

Votes: 3 15.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving my HSS strats to new homes. Currently they're both running Vineham Brown Nosers in the bridge and a 2-knob (V/T) configuration. I have all the original parts in a box.

As I'm hoping they sell here or to friends before I list them public, I'd like input on whether it's an easier sell stock or as-is. Bear in mind I'll have to pay my tech to put them back to stock since I don't have the equipment.

Expect a proper listing once I gather the intel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In my experience, you'll never recover costs of upgrades, so better to return to stock condition. Sell the upgraded parts separately and you'll getter a better 'return on investment'.

If just swapping pickups and pots, buy a decent soldering iron/station, as that initial cost is probably less than a tech visit to do this relatively straightforward job. Lots of good soldering tutorials out there, and its a skill I think every serious player should have since you never know when something goes south on you!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Stock if you want to (likely) get the most $ including selling the upgrades separately. Of course, if you happen to find someone that prefers the guitar upgraded, you can always sell the original parts.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
In my experience, you'll never recover costs of upgrades, so better to return to stock condition. Sell the upgraded parts separately and you'll getter a better 'return on investment'.

If just swapping pickups and pots, buy a decent soldering iron/station, as that initial cost is probably less than a tech visit to do this relatively straightforward job. Lots of good soldering tutorials out there, and its a skill I think every serious player should have since you never know when something goes south on you!
The cost is sunk and the cost of a tech ( or even getting the tools and diy) is just lowering the profit margin for no good reason, so you get less net, assuming same sale value either way. Vinehams, as good as they are, are also not big on resale value either so whats the bloody point unless he reeeeeeeeally likes them and would put them in another axe.

It wont necessarily fetch much more, but it will sell quicker w the pup upgrade. Pot mod can go either way, but if includes original parts it likely wont be a negative.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
If you've played them for more than 6 months you've got your money out of the mods so sell them as is with the parts. If they want you to switch the pick ups, ad the price of your tech doing it to the price of the guitar or give them the address of your tech and they can figure things out. If you were going to buy a soldering gun to do the switch you would have done it by now and figured out how to do the swap. The only reason for you to pull the pick ups out of the guitars is if you want them for something else.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
If you've played them for more than 6 months you've got your money out of the mods so sell them as is with the parts. If they want you to switch the pick ups, ad the price of your tech doing it to the price of the guitar or give them the address of your tech and they can figure things out. If you were going to buy a soldering gun to do the switch you would have done it by now and figured out how to do the swap. The only reason for you to pull the pick ups out of the guitars is if you want them for something else.
Go on...,

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want them back to stock just give them to me and I'll do it, as long as you're not in a huge rush :)
There's a good chance I'll take you up on that.

Thanks very much for your offer and help!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
i find mods can make the sale easier (depending on the mods and the target audience)....but don't generally add value.

since you cant DIY, it might make more sense for you to leave them as is since tech time is not cheap.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Assuming they are open pickups with black bobbins, I might be interested in one of the Brown Noser pickups.
That is indeed what they are. Send me a PM and we will work something out.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I say invest in a good soldering station.
One with fast heating but temperature controlled so you don't cook shit.
I have a Hakko and it's awesome.
It was expensive compared to cheaper stations but in the long run it has saved me hundred of dollars.
I can't even fathom how much money I would have spent if I had to pay somebody every time I wanted a change of pup or pot or cap or what have you.
Do it.
Get a good iron.
Then practice.
Learn to solder.
Save hundreds down the road.

Sell your guitars with the stock pups.
If you were not crazy about the Vinehams, sell them separately.

Reactions: laristotle

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the vinehams, I just don't have more guitars for them to go in.

Pickups are tentatively sold, now to get the guitars to new homes...

·
Registered
103 Posts
To avoid headache and probably maximize your returns sell them as they are with the original equipment included. By the time you pay your tech you'll probably eat up most of the added $$ you'd get selling them stock. Maybe add $20-30 to the price of each guitar to recoup some of the cost of the mods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts