The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm searching for a new capo. I currently use the Planet Waves polymer NS capo lite. I like that it's infinitely adjustable, but on my J-45, I find that it doesn't sound that great above the 3rd fret. The tone gets really thin and bright. Could be the shorter scale length of the J-45.

I was wondering if the material used for the capo that contacts the strings makes much of a difference. Mine is just a hard piece of plastic.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Hey all,

I'm searching for a new capo. I currently use the Planet Waves polymer NS capo lite. I like that it's infinitely adjustable, but on my J-45, I find that it doesn't sound that great above the 3rd fret. The tone gets really thin and bright. Could be the shorter scale length of the J-45.

I was wondering if the material used for the capo that contacts the strings makes much of a difference. Mine is just a hard piece of plastic.
The material shouldn't make any difference since the fret is where the string stops vibrating, not at the capo itself. The culprit is some combination of the type of fret material, fretboard material, string composition, string gauge (and age), scale length, and body shape/composition. I'd imagine the scale length and body shape/composition as being most significant factors.

Thicker/darker strings might help, but there isn't much you can do beyond that.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Hey all,

No. It sounds like you have other guitars that you use it on. If the material made a difference, it would do so on all guitars.

·
Registered
951 Posts
See 39:35 for review of Elliot and G7th in the following episode of Acoustic Tuesday

I don’t recommend the D’Addario. I recently bought it and within a month of light use, the screw binded (dragged) and eventually the spring would not release

A capo i am interested in, other than the 2 listed above, is the Thalia

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I bought an Elliot elite. I wanted a yoke style so that it could easily be moved up above the nut when not needed at a jam. Its great for quickly bringing back on the neck when needed. I can't believe I spent that much on a capo but I was afraid to go cheap and put up with all the potential problems. Would love to try a G7th one day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody use a Schubb? You can set the tension, but has the ability to be quickly moved around like a Kyser.

Shubb capo

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Anybody use a Schubb? You can set the tension, but has the ability to be quickly moved around like a Kyser.

Shubb capo
Even though I use my Elliot 95% of the time I did keep my shubb deluxe. I mainly use it when I want to capo some of the strings. ex: second fret across all strings except bass E. Can't do that with a yoke style. I've also kept the Keyser that I bought 35 years ago. I never use it but its the first good capo I bought so I keep it for sentimental reasons.

P

·
0 Posts
I use the G7th Performance capo. They have a Performance 2 version now. They are nice because you squeeze the capo to get the tension, so it can be adjusted to just the amount of pressure needed to capo, but not enough to bend the notes...

Performance 2

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll get a Schubb deluxe model, they aren't too pricey for stainless steel.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Get a Shubb and be done with it for the rest of your life. It's that good, and it lasts that long.
(Make sure you put it on over the top of the neck so it doesn't interfere at all with your fretting hand.)

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I'll get a Schubb deluxe model, they aren't too pricey for stainless steel.
$30.00 is pretty decent for a stainless steel one as you say. If I ever need another one, I'll take your advice and buy the SS Shubb.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have been using Shubb capos for many years on all of my electrics. Way better than the Dunlop and Gibson capos that I bought when I started playing.

Last year I bought another Shubb capo for my acoustic 12-string, to replace my Kyser. I really liked the Kyser but the Shubb is just as good, if not better.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Shubb, mostly, though I like a recent Planet Waves. I only used those awful Kysers to cut down for virtual tunings.

Left to right, Shubb (black, 'cause it's cool), Shubb (chrome, 'cause it's hot), Shubb (12 string/wider neck), Shubb (mandolin, banjos, flat fingerboard), Kyser (virtual A or Esus4), Kyser (virtual Em), Planet Waves.

IMG_8890.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have several Kyser style off brand capos. Been using capos lots lately playing in my acoustic duo. I haven’t had any trouble with my cheapo capos, but I don’t know what I’m missing either because I’ve not tried anything else. Following this thread now, I do love gear, so maybe I will spend a few bucks on an upgrade.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For acoustics I ended up sticking w the Schubb capos. There are two sizes depending on your neck size. I found them to be the best for keeping the strings in tune from feet to fret

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have the Thalia. It works as advertised. If you do a search for capos with your Facebook open you’ll eventually see a FB sale for Thalia seconds. They are not seconds, it’s just a ploy to reduce the price. That’s how I got mine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use the G7th Performance capo. They have a Performance 2 version now. They are nice because you squeeze the capo to get the tension, so it can be adjusted to just the amount of pressure needed to capo, but not enough to bend the notes...

Performance 2

I have one of these, and like it. But I keep going back to my Keyser. Go figure...

The G7th is a very good capo.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I use Schubb for guitar, and Dunlop to lock in Cheetos goodness.

Reactions: bw66
1 - 20 of 47 Posts