The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am hoping to tap into your wealth of collective knowledge. I am considering purchasing a 1962 Fender Concert that is listed locally. It would be for use as a clean platform basement amp.
From what I know so far:
-6G12-A circuit
-original transformers
-reproduction cabinet
-replacement Jensen speakers
-3 prong cord added
-last serviced 3 years ago
-some caps replaced (not sure of extent of that)
-said to idle quietly (haven't heard it yet)

So if any of you have experience with this model please chime in.
Other things I should ask or check or watch out for?

thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I’m here. Thanks @Budda

This concert amp has evolved somewhat into a players amp. It is not necessarily a collectors piece with all the replacement parts. It will likely sound amazing. The 4x10 offers a great sound. Harmonic tremolo is the best of all trem variations from Fender. Solid state rectifier for firm bottom end. 40W 2 power tubes. I thought I read somewhere that the concert evolved from the 5F6A tweed Bassman.

You should not be paying a premium for a vintage amp here. It is a high build quality amp. You likely cannot build a clone of this concert from scratch for less than $1500. Keep in mimd it will retain some value. A clone will depreciate considerably after the build is complete.

If you have pics please post some. Gut shots are important. We can help you with knowing exactly what you are buying. Think of Elvis, “Only Fools Rush in”. Unless of the price is under $1,00. Then by all means rush in!

Pull fuse and check value. Big clue there. Plug it in. Turn it on check all functions. Crank every knob. Everything working as it should? Pull chassis and closely inspect. Or at least take pics and post here.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I’m warming up at $1500. I would need to see it at this point.

It will make a decent clean platform. What type of music, pedals and guitar will you put thru it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$1,500 is what I was thinking also.
I play mostly tele, but also have a strat, LP and 335.
Play mostly blues, blues rock. Light to med OD sounds. The usual assortment of way too many OD pedals, some fuzzes, delays...
Was thinking a BD-2, or Timmy may pair well for a base edge of breakup to light OD sound.

PS. Its great to interact with you here Keith. I have read countless of your TDPRI posts and they have been very helpful, especially when I built a Trinity 5E3 a couple years ago.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I'd personally shell out $1200-$1300 pretty quickly, accounting for the non-original cab and "Jensen" speakers. Looks like the rear chassis has been drilled at some point also? $1500 and up would be reserved for something in it's original cab/most speakers/some easily reversible mods and repairs, accounting for less than perfect condition etc. $2000 and up would be for museum pieces that will gain in value—an investment. But what do I know, I paid $600 for my 6G2 Princeton and $800 for my 6G5 Pro. But the prices have skyrocketed in the last ten years so...

The brown Concert is a great amp. I'd definitely like a peek at the guts.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Yep, Keith’s knowledge on amps and amp building is great ! He is one of my go to guys when I’m looking at picking up a vintage piece .

If I’m not mistaken , the Concert your looking at has kicked around Kijiji off and on for the last year or two. The brown concerts are an amazing amp and pair very well with a tele. I find the tone tight and punchy. Also correct on the Timmy being a great OD with it as well....that’s what I use and swear by it .

For value , I personally wouldn’t go over that $1500 mark on it with a full reproduction cab and non original speakers . That being said , having the original transformers is great and with the circuit untouched you can have an amazing sounding and playing amp at an affordable price ....$1300 ish would be nice .

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
$1,500 is what I was thinking also.
I play mostly tele, but also have a strat, LP and 335.
Play mostly blues, blues rock. Light to med OD sounds. The usual assortment of way too many OD pedals, some fuzzes, delays...
Was thinking a BD-2, or Timmy may pair well for a base edge of breakup to light OD sound.

PS. Its great to interact with you here Keith. I have read countless of your TDPRI posts and they have been very helpful, especially when I built a Trinity 5E3 a couple years ago.
When you start turning up a brownie, you may find the OD collection shrinking

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I asked for photos and the seller has posted more. Gut shots are still promised.
This is the Kijiji link.
Fender Concert Amp 1962- Sweet Vintage Amplifier | Amps & Pedals | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Should I be concerned about the filter caps? Not a one-for-one replacement. I believe that the original has 7 x 20 uF. This looks like 11 x 47 uF.
I am guessing the first three are "upsized" and the last 8 are 4 sets of 2 in parallel. Is this ominous?
Gut shots to come.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I asked for photos and the seller has posted more. Gut shots are still promised.
This is the Kijiji link.
Fender Concert Amp 1962- Sweet Vintage Amplifier | Amps & Pedals | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Should I be concerned about the filter caps? Not a one-for-one replacement. I believe that the original has 7 x 20 uF. This looks like 11 x 47 uF.
I am guessing the first three are "upsized" and the last 8 are 4 sets of 2 in parallel. Is this ominous?
Gut shots to come.
Upsized filters (to a limit) and paralleled caps are nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The cap job shown raises questions about the quality of the “serviced 3 years ago” claim. Its not that great. Yes it may work but has me questioning what the guts look like. Pics will tell the rest of the story.

Me? I’d be negotiating the price of a service, and putting in stock values, off the sell price. In addition that drilled hole in the chassis. Another justification for a lower offer. The hole there can be utilized if you like. Maybe switchable NFB or switching various cathode cap values for gain options. I don’t recommend anyone drill a hole for this, but it’s already there. So...

Matt is probably right-on in the $1300 zone. Gut Pics. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Studying more here tonite I wanted to share:

Click here and scroll down the page. Lots of good quality photos of a 1962 6G12-A guts. This is a fine specimen. Real nice gut shots here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/down-with-the-brown-fender-60s-brownface-content.1641932/page-2

Looking at the pics of the one you are interested in on Kijiji I see a couple more things to discuss. I am not trying to pick apart a player's amp here. Just educating you so you can make an informed
decision and pay a fair price.

The speaker connection jack on the rear. Has been replaced with modern type.

The little cover plate, used to cover up the extra tube holes for more tubes, is missing.
Back in '62 at Fender same Concert chassis was probably used for another amp model with a tube rectifier. Little covers were installed over the empty chassis holes that were pre-cut at the factory.

I also see another 2 extra hole drilled in the chassis. Look at the shot of the power supply caps. Between the left 2 tubes. That is not supposed to be there. Look at the pic of the
back side of the power transformer. Where the little cover plate is missing. Right beside the power tube. Another hole drilled thru the chassis there. Not supposed to be there.

Not sure if seller pulled off all the pre-amp tube covers for the pic? They are missing. The fibre board under the caps, appears possibly modern, not original. Would need to confirm, but the corners cut at a 45 degree is not right.

In my opinion, the yellow molded Astron caps in the guts are a key tonal ingredient. I count about 18 or so yellow Astrons in the gut shot link I mentioned above. Some later models had the blue molded Astron caps, also important in valuing an amp.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts