The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you that have had an instrument shipped to a designated address in the US and then cleared Canadian customs;

a) Have you used a specific UPS store or center that has worked for you? A specific UPS store that you had had an instrument ship to as a "Hold at Location"? I was thinking Niagara Falls to minimize the distance.

b) for clearing customs, did you go through the regular check lanes or is there a specific area that I would need to go? bonus question, does having NEXUS help in any way the process?

c) Is there paperwork that can be prepared beforehand or is required in order to clear customs with the instrument?

Thx

Edit: the carrier will be UPS

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
You'll be dealing with US Customs, not Canada. If you are shipping via UPS from Canada they will handle everything for you. Ask about custom fees up front. They will likely be charged to the buyer (which they need to be aware of) but it is less than the amount we get boned for. I shipped a computer to the US a few years ago via FedEx and it went smooth and the receiver didn't have to pay anything extra. YMMV.
I think with FedEx the charges are all built in whereas with UPS, they show the separate charges so you still get billed the extra; it's just a different billing method. I could be wrong but this is the way it has worked for me bringing goods in by both of those carriers.

Reactions: BSTheTech

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Guys, I think you're missing the point. He wants to have something shipped to a US address near the border and drive there to get it into the country himself. Probably the seller doesn't want to ship to Canada.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Correct - the dealer prefers not to ship to Canada. This seems to be the norm nowadays.
Alex, another hurdle you'll run into is that the seller probably won't want to ship to that US address because it doesn't match that of your credit card.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Alex, another hurdle you'll run into is that the seller probably won't want to ship to that US address because it doesn't match that of your credit card.
I see Alex stated it's a non issue but how would they even know? You give the store a credit card number, the purchase is approved, they then send it to the address you provide them. You can put 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield, IL for all they care.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see Alex stated it's a non issue but how would they even know? You give the store a credit card number, the purchase is approved, they then send it to the address you provide them. You can put 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield, IL for all they care.
I think the rational at some point was that PayPal would not provide sellers protection if the item was shipped to a different address ("unconfirmed address"). I don't see this as much anymore.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Done this many times - I'll have it shipped to a shipping depot near the border, pick up, go to the border - they will ask if you have anything to declare and value. Most likely will hand you a piece of paper and tell you to go to the customs office where you pay the taxes on the value. Make sure you print out your invoice from the transaction to show as proof. One time the border guy asked me about the guitar ($800 value) and he waved me through without paying a dime - that was one time only (must have been a guitar guy). Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
^^^^^This. The post pick-up process is no different than making any other declaration when you return to Canada. Make sure you have a receipt and be prepared to pay HST on the declared value.

As far as pre-pick up considerations, you may find this helpful Alex: New York Mailbox (Niagara Falls) | Ship to the Border
I have a Kinek account myself and use a Kinek business as the shipping address for shipments remaining within the US. I even have the address registered with paypal as another verified shipping address, so I'm fully covered. I hope this helps.

Reactions: losch79

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Correct - the dealer prefers not to ship to Canada. This seems to be the norm nowadays.
Okay, that's easy. I have done that many times. Would you like me to PM the UPS address in Niagara Falls, NY along with details?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
If you bought the guitar on reverb or eBay be sure to add the US address to your account. If you use the us address while on either site and pay with PayPal or if you have you bank account registered with Reverb , it will register as a verified confirmed address and us sellers will ship to you without issues. Some places like Music Go Round won't ship to you if your shipping address doesn't match your billing address, so paypal is the end around for that. Also I called my credit card company and they are aware that I get things shipped to my Detroit address. I've done this well over two dozen times in the last year.

Just be sure you have the receipt and declare the item. The Windsor Customs officers have been great every time I go across. Sometimes you pay tax and sometimes you don't.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
279 Posts
b) for clearing customs, did you go through the regular check lanes or is there a specific area that I would need to go? bonus question, does having NEXUS help in any way the process?
Generally speaking, very often I get waved through the NEXUS lane without having to pay a dime on the purchases I've made. But then again, it's not usually an item as expensive as a guitar that I'm bringing back. Like others have said, be prepared to pay tax - and count yourself lucky if they just wave you through.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Conversely, make some friends in Buffalo. Serious suggestion.
Niagara Falls, NY. It's closer. A seriousesser suggestion.:D

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
They're both not the nicest cities, I guess it wouldn't matter. I just know people in Buffalo so it comes to mind first.
You got that right. Buffalo has really gone downhill since they lost all their industry. There are a lot of empty buildings and the population has dropped phenomenally since the '70's. I use to go there to pick up my shipments but once I moved to St. Catharines, I realized it's about 30km closer and UPS is easier to get to.

·
Registered
676 Posts
For those of you that have had an instrument shipped to a designated address in the US and then cleared Canadian customs;

a) Have you used a specific UPS store or center that has worked for you? A specific UPS store that you had had an instrument ship to as a "Hold at Location"? I was thinking Niagara Falls to minimize the distance.

c) Is there paperwork that can be prepared beforehand or is required in order to clear customs with the instrument?

Thx

Edit: the carrier will be UPS
I wouldn't take the risk not declaring. You could lose your purchase and your Nexus..
I made a US (private} purchase, picking up across the border, I recall that driving up to Can. Customs offices was voluntary. I presented my paperwork and I had already calculated the duty, so I wasn't shocked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts