The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I have an interesting rhythm tone here:

The power chord at 0:12 could've easily been mistaken for a tiger's roar.

These are JCM 800s and/or 2000s (most likely 2000s). The rhythm guitar before 0:28 is a LP Junior with a P90 (stock I think), the rhythm after that is a humbucker (different guitarist), so I think it's agreeable that the tone is consistent across different guitars.

I think it's also agreeable the JCMs and the guitars can't do this by themselves, so what's going on here? What could be causing the sound to be so throaty and Uberschall-ish?
There also seems to be an extra layer of clipping there that you can hear at 0:37--is that a fuzz pedal and/or cranked compressor?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
#1 sounds to me like a tubescreamer in front of a Marshall, has that mid bump and sorta softer down lower like a TS does. I think there's a lot of distortion and compression just from the devices in the recording chain too.

0:37 sounds somewhat like a Shin-E fuzz or SuperFuzz, though I don't personally know whether those play well with humbuckers and cranked Marshalls.

Who's the artist? If it's a big name, the info is probably somewhere out there, or possibly even on their own web page

·
Registered
24,336 Posts
Sounds to me like whatever mic is recording is being seriously overdriven. That doesn't mean there isn't any pedal involved, but it's hard to identify any tonal "signature" in the midst of all that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds to me like whatever mic is recording is being seriously overdriven. That doesn't mean there isn't any pedal involved, but it's hard to identify any tonal "signature" in the midst of all that.
My main issue with the tone is that it's self-contradictory, or, seemingly, occupies a large sonic spectrum, and we can still hear all of that spectrum despite competition between the different frequencies. As keto stated, it's being altered by a tubescreamer, so it's middy and tight (decreased bottom end)--it's very obvious in the palm mutes. But, despite what one, or at least I, would intuitively expect, the palm mutes, in some aspects, don't match the power chords when he lets them go. The tone has the cat whiny-ness of a Marshall (and P90 which he used), but also the low end tiger growl that something like a Rectifier or Powerball (or neck pickup) might be more associated with. I think the main tone is the cat tone and the tiger part is an artificial clipping layer caused by the mic overload as you stated (I thought it was something with the speakers initially), and, as keto said, compression/fuzz.

I'm not on anything.

One last thing I'll add is that the video I posted was recorded in an indoor arena; they did two shows there, and they had that distinct tone in both shows and only those two shows. I don't know if that indicates anything.

Bellamy has a fairly similar thing going on here at 2:32, might be cool to check.

And now I THINK this issue can be put to rest. The studio tone is a bit more complicated--I might post a thread about it later.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, are you saying the original clip was Muse? I'm not clear...
Nononono, Bellamy seems to be a proficient guitarist, but I'm not sure he can play two guitar parts at once. I think he also doesn't growl.

The original clip is from this:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts