The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Carvin Audio has announced that—after 70 years in operation—it is closing its San Diego factory and liquidating the entirety of its stock.

In a Facebook post, Carvin wrote "It is with a heavy heart that we announce that the Carvin Audio factory will be closing its doors after over 70 years. We are thankful for the many years we've had in this business and the support you all have given us."

"We'd like to thank all of you for your devotion to our gear and championing us live, in the studio, and on social media," the statement continued. "We hope to see our gear live on in your musical lives for many years to come!"

All items on the Carvin Audio website have been marked down by 25 percent, and all sales on items are final.

The future of the company at this moment in time remains uncertain.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Carvin begin with guitars, and only add amplifiers and sound-reinforcement stuff later on? I know the guitar-manufacturing wing separated a few years ago, under the Kiesel name, so in a sense "Carvin" is still going, but as Kiesel.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Carvin begin with guitars, and only add amplifiers and sound-reinforcement stuff later on? I know the guitar-manufacturing wing separated a few years ago, under the Kiesel name, so in a sense "Carvin" is still going, but as Kiesel.
I was actually just searching the site for the guitars. That explains it.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is detailed in the link that Hamstrung posted

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
well, neither Sears nor Carvin has been relevant in many years.

Reactions: vadsy

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Sears was convenient though and they had a lot of basic stuff that you always knew you could get there for a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
apparently not enough ppl felt that way.
i mean no disrespect, but I personally never knew anyone under the age of 60 who would admit to shopping there...fashion lines like Jaclyn Smith just don't bring in kids like they used to, lol
even their coveted tool brand shit the bed in recent years. My Craftsman lawn mower has been an absolute POS since new, at a price not too far from what I could've bought a John Deere.

P

·
0 Posts
Sears screwed up when they stopped home repair and parts for appliances, lawnmowers and other motorized / mechanical devices. Everybody bought their stuff because they also came around and fixed it.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Sears screwed up when they stopped home repair and parts for appliances, lawnmowers and other motorized / mechanical devices. Everybody bought their stuff because they also came around and fixed it.
Na, it was Amazon that killed Sears. The convenience of having your snowblower stuffed into your mailslot just waiting for you to get home can't be denied.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a Carvin guitar or amp in person. I assume someone was buying them all these years. Not around these parts, though.
I've had Carvin guitar and bass amps. Decent but I've dealt them over time. Not for anything wrong with them, I just continually try new things. I've also owned and still own four Carvin guitars (that's one in my avatar). As good as any and better than a lot out there for the most part.

There was a complete split of Carvin into two separate entities back in 2015.
Carvin Audio (Amps, PA, etc) is now defunct as of Monday.
Kiesel Guitars/Carvin Guitars (Guitars and Basses only) is in a new factory and growing their product line. Not affected by the closing of Carvin Audio.

Reactions: LanceT

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
i read alot of dissatisfaction with kiesel in some online forums. i've never played one, but they sure look nice

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I've told this to a few of my musician friends and their reply was pretty much unanimous: meh

Having no distributors means their products need to be individually imported in Canada and other countries
I'm sure they're a lot more popular in the US

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
apparently not enough ppl felt that way.
i mean no disrespect, but I personally never knew anyone under the age of 60 who would admit to shopping there...fashion lines like Jaclyn Smith just don't bring in kids like they used to, lol
even their coveted tool brand shit the bed in recent years. My Craftsman lawn mower has been an absolute POS since new, at a price not too far from what I could've bought a John Deere.
I'm not lookin for Jaclyn Smith to come over and wax my dolphin any time soon but what I do need right now is an ironing board cover, vacuum cleaner bags, that stuff you put in steam cleaner machines for carpets and a few pairs of Levi 501s. All that shit you could get in one go at Sears for cheap plus they got big parking lots so you could park your truck at the back taking up two spaces so that it don't get banged up by door slamming urban shitwits who drive crapped out Corollas .. lol

Never used Craftsman tools - pretty much all CT stuff which has held up good enough for me but might still be crap by some standards.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Here's the short story...

WAY BACK WHEN - It started as a guitar and pickups company called "Kiesel". They had a traditional distribution model, but it wasn't working out and they wanted to shift to a direct-to-consumer model. The existing contracts couldn't be broken out of, so the "Kiesel" brand was abandoned and "Carvin" was born.

30-40ish years ago - The original founder's son took over, but he was much more into amps, PA, etc. So, they had a lot of good development in that area, but the guitar division stagnated. They were going to close the whole guitar division, but the other son came in to try turning it around. What proceeded is the "Carvin" most of us think of that has been around since the 80s...

2015 - For somewhat vague reasons, the guitar division split off to form an entirely separate company and bring back the "Kiesel" brand. "Carvin" continued separately as a pro audio and amplifier company only. The two companies have no official legal connection after this point.

Summer 2017 - Carvin announces the grand opening of their new facility.
Fall 2017 - Carvin announces that they are closing their doors.

i read alot of dissatisfaction with kiesel in some online forums. i've never played one, but they sure look nice
I've played a few Carvin guitars, but no Kiesels. Loved the Carvins. Since Kiesel branched off, a few things have happened that make me think twice before buying again. Their prices all jumped up despite switching to using cheaper parts in their builds.

At this point there are builders in Canada who will do the same stuff for nearly the same price and they won't cheap out on hardware. I'd rather just put my money in their hands.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Here's the short story...

WAY BACK WHEN - It started as a guitar and pickups company called "Kiesel". They had a traditional distribution model, but it wasn't working out and they wanted to shift to a direct-to-consumer model. The existing contracts couldn't be broken out of, so the "Kiesel" brand was abandoned and "Carvin" was born.

30-40ish years ago - The original founder's son took over, but he was much more into amps, PA, etc. So, they had a lot of good development in that area, but the guitar division stagnated. They were going to close the whole guitar division, but the other son came in to try turning it around. What proceeded is the "Carvin" most of us think of that has been around since the 80s...

2015 - For somewhat vague reasons, the guitar division split off to form an entirely separate company and bring back the "Kiesel" brand. "Carvin" continued separately as a pro audio and amplifier company only. The two companies have no official legal connection after this point.

Summer 2017 - Carvin announces the grand opening of their new facility.
Fall 2017 - Carvin announces that they are closing their doors.

I've played a few Carvin guitars, but no Kiesels. Loved the Carvins. Since Kiesel branched off, a few things have happened that make me think twice before buying again. Their prices all jumped up despite switching to using cheaper parts in their builds.

At this point there are builders in Canada who will do the same stuff for nearly the same price and they won't cheap out on hardware. I'd rather just put my money in their hands.
Good. So I remembered it right, if not in as much historic detail. Thanks for that, John.

Gotta say that when Keisel started advertising in Vintage Guitar, my first thought was that their advertised products looked like the guitar equivalent of the women on those "Real Housewives of..." shows: too much makeup, too much cosmetic surgery, too much hair and attitude, too much of everything. I realize they need to differentiate themselves from other brands, but the wood overkill turned me off. This is the company that brought us the Holdsworth guitar, that was simple and light, allowing a virtuoso to show his virtuosity. The Keisels I saw in ads looked like they were trying to out-do the PRS "rainbow burst" or Gibson zoot suit SG. Hopefully they will tone down their brand and focus on playability and features that support that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts