The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody’s following the harp seal hunt? Unjustified, outdated and truly horrific practice? Or put white sheets on the floor of any slaughterhouse and you’ll see lots of blood too?

Am I wrong to think that Paul & Heather, Mick (Jagger), Brigitte Bardot and company are taking this a little too far?

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah radio8, I don't think that the issue is so much about extinction. I think that I read that the federal department of fisheries and oceans has estimated the number of harp seals to be around 3 millions or so and they are monitoring the effect of the hunt to make sure that they do not become extinct. The quota for one hunting season is around 300,000.

But the hunt itself seems to be attracting the attention. I'm thinking that the white icy/snowy background is making this more dramatic than what it is. I also read that the price for a seal skin is about $75 and the whole season brings over 15 millions in revenue for the region. It's important revenue for atlantic region.

And the DFO (dept fisheries oceans) "says the club, or "hakapik," used by many sealers is "an efficient tool" that kills "quickly and humanely." The Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada found that clubbing, when properly performed, is at least as humane as killing methods in commercial slaughterhouses. Opponents say clubbing often isn't "properly performed."

I just don't think that celebrities should get involve in this. Their point of view is somewhat askew and they want to influence other nations and people to boycott our seafood products. That's ridiculous. It could affect us economically and IMHO, for no truly justified reasons.

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GuitarsCanada said:
Apparently Pamela Anderson tried to throw a few words in for the seals at the Juno's and almost got thrown out of the place. I hope Faracaster built that stage good and strong, to hold her and those balloons.
"Seal may have like to perform but he feared that he may have been clubbed" or sometging to that effect.

.. those balloons. :D :D

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
GuitarsCanada said:
Won't see Paul and Heather out there again. he will be busy with his lawyers

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/05/18/mccartney.divorce.reut/index.html?section=cnn_topstories
I heard about it but i haven't had a chance to read and find out what's really happening. But some people were talking today and I heard something about them not having a pre-nup!! So she is entitled to half of what he's worth. I heard something about her wanting 400 or 900 millions or something to that effect and that she'll be on her way.

Regardless, maybe Paul won't be on the ice with the seals anymore but with that kind of dough and Paul not being there to *slow* her down, we'll hear from her and the seals...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.