The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Best pickup for great rock tones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I voted for HB's due to there versatility(coil spiltting, etc) and there handling of high gain. P90's are for sure sweet and mean but tricky in high gain sometimes.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PaulS said:
I voted for HB's due to there versatility(coil spiltting, etc) and there handling of high gain. P90's are for sure sweet and mean but tricky in high gain sometimes.
aah, thanks for the advice! I am just curious what you mean by "tricky" in high gain. Just curious.

I was originally thinking of a Jazz(neck) JB(bridge) thing, but I was recently thinking about using a P90 for one of the positions.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
feedback and some noise... they are single coils pups.... But it can work to your advantage sometimes. I have a Tokai LR with Wolfetone P90's in it and it is one sweet sounding guitar. But I am selective to when I use it. Mostly I gig with a Tokai LR Custom with HB's in it. Does everything I need it to do..

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PaulS said:
feedback and some noise... they are single coils pups.... But it can work to your advantage sometimes. I have a Tokai LR with Wolfetone P90's in it and it is one sweet sounding guitar. But I am selective to when I use it. Mostly I gig with a Tokai LR Custom with HB's in it. Does everything I need it to do..
aah...better go with buckers then. thanks!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I put a set of Phat Cats in my Washburn J9 semi; great sound and quiet. Most folks say, and I agree, tha the Phat cats are LIKE p 90s, but aren't. I had the real deal on my 77/55 Les Paul and they were incredible.(but a bit hummy at high gain)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...all single coil pickups will cause an annoying buzz when used with high gain (distortion) settings.

the alternatives are: humbucking pickups, noiseless single coils or, if you have a strat style guitar with a backplate for the whammy bar, installing a suhr silent backplate system.

shielding will help, as well, but only to a limited degree.

-dh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts