The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
But how, and why, would one use it? How can you offend zem if zey are not there?
I don't know. I suppose you could use it in cases where you don't know the gender of the person to whom you are referring. Some people use they/them in those cases. In any case, language evolves and changes all the time. The video mentions this is one of 2,800 words being added to the updated Scrabble dictionary, of which I am sure there are many we don't use. So no one is going to force anyone to use this word other than if they want an easy, high-scoring word in Scrabble.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Choosing to use it would not be in the least bit offensive, being forced to use it would.
What about someone asking nicely? I have yet to have anyone force me to say this or anything else. I have long used “they” when referring to a person of indeterminate gender, mainly because saying “he” potentially leaves out half the population and it’s shorter than “he or she”. It works for me.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Choosing to use it would not be in the least bit offensive, being forced to use it would.
Yep, which is why I am going to refer to you and Jordan Peterson as toilet and crap. And when you tell me you prefer to be called something else, I'm going to cry foul like somehow I've been victimized by your draconian demands. And when you tell me that you really don't want to raise a big ruckus but you simply don't want to be referred to in this way, perhaps I will get over myself and realize how small minded I've been about something that really doesn't negatively effect me in any way.

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Yep, which is why I am going to refer to you and Jordan Peterson as toilet and crap. And when you tell me you prefer to be called something else, I'm going to cry foul like somehow I've been victimized by your draconian demands. And when you tell me that you really don't want to raise a big ruckus but you simply don't want to be referred to in this way, perhaps I will get over myself and realize how small minded I've been about something that really doesn't negatively effect me in any way.
Jesus, touchy much?

Let's put it this way. In order for me to use the correct pronoun I would need to know how the person I was referring to gender identifies. If I knew the person, and that person had told me how they would like to be identified, then I would have no problem identifying them that way.

Outside of that I will continue to default to what my eyes tell me. "They" is plural so I'll continue using he or she until I'm informed otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Outside of that I will continue to default to what my eyes tell me. "They" is plural so I'll continue using he or she until I'm informed otherwise.
The singular “they” has a longstanding precedent in spoken and informally written English, although there is some debate over it in style guides for more formal writing and such.

Singular they - Wikipedia

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is just the TIP OF THE ICEBERG!

This does not allow Christian words:

I have friends support about this on numerous occasions. And they have told me perhaps I am using my tiles into different directions or something of that nature. I tried again tonight and it would not allow the word Jesus. It will not take cheeses, Jesus Christ, or Christ; and yet it will except Taliban, Jihad other non-Christian words. What is this world coming to? I find this extremely offensive and I've written several times to have this corrected. I will stop using this app until all my friends to do the same.​

1 - 20 of 39 Posts