The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, these came to me yesterday from a very gracious gentleman. They were once in the shop of a luthier who did Martin service and repairs.

28 Assorted Martin neck blanks, almost all without truss rods and fretboards.

A few D15 bolt type, the rest D18, D28, 6 string and even a few 12 strings, only two with boards - one with a Brazilian board and the other with an ebony board, one loose new truss rod.

There's a few that have been damaged but the rest are good... it's all perfectly vertical grain Honduras and the headstock plates are all Brazilian, yes, yesterday was a good day.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's more, and this is stuff that really has me wanting to build something...

I also got 60 something pieces of this near perfect reclaimed old growth Douglas Fir.

Perfectly quartered it's bone dry, very stiff and very light. Bouncing the pieces on end, on a concrete floor, yields a high pitched ringing tone. The smell of the dust is incredible and it leaves zero pitch on the saw blade, no matter how much you cut - when the pitch turns to dust it's literally petrified, which is what makes working with reclaimed material so nice, it's insanely stable.

This stuff was resawn from what must have been completely flat sawn beams. 7 1/2" thick x who knows how wide, but it must have come from very large trees because every single piece is completely clear and has almost perfectly vertical quarter sawn gain.

The pieces are 30" and 34" long, all x 7 1/2" x 1" thick, everyone has almost perfectly straight grain.

I'm thinking Tele bodies, built like the Fender all rosewood model, sandwich construction with a veneer in the middle, clear nitro finish.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Congrats!

What cool and unusual finds.

This will seem like a silly question, but why would a luthier want to have 28 neck blanks on hand? Were Martin necks having issues of some sort around 1996?

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Congrats on the those Jim, neat finds!

They use Douglas fir for shaft guides in the skip and cage compartments at our mine.
They resist water and rot and can be had in long lengths, 20'ers, I think.

There are a few old cut ones in the back of the headframe that I keep eyeing up.
I think of you everytime I see them and picture a Tele of some sort.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!

What cool and unusual finds.

This will seem like a silly question, but why would a luthier want to have 28 neck blanks on hand? Were Martin necks having issues of some sort around 1996?
I'm not really sure but I know he was also building guitars, I happy to make use of them and sooner or later we'll see some build threads with some of these necks.

Congrats on the those Jim, neat finds!

They use Douglas fir for shaft guides in the skip and cage compartments at our mine.
They resist water and rot and can be had in long lengths, 20'ers, I think.

There are a few old cut ones in the back of the headframe that I keep eyeing up.
I think of you everytime I see them and picture a Tele of some sort.
Thanks, old stuff is so stable and so nice to work with, and back when lots of this was used for beams and trusses etc they often spec'd the best material, so I think it's perfect for guitars.

There's some tele bodies coming shortly out of this stuff, so we're going to see how good it actually is, but when I bounce pieces on the endgrain, on a concrete floor, I can hear the material is consistently very stiff with a almost shiny high pitched tone, and to me that sounds promising.

L

·
0 Posts
I'll be throwing my name on that list of tele bodies when they're available.
You do beautiful work my friend.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
How light would you estimate a tele with that fir as a body would weigh approx??

Ever since I saw that LP special dog hair you made, I knew one day I'd own one of your guitars. Still in the plans.

Now that I've seen that gold job you did on the Greco bass, fewph, I'm Smitten.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be throwing my name on that list of tele bodies when they're available.
You do beautiful work my friend.
Thanks Larry, I'll PM you a bit later tonight, we can talk about the other one to.

How light would you estimate a tele with that fir as a body would weigh approx??

Ever since I saw that LP special dog hair you made, I knew one day I'd own one of your guitars. Still in the plans.

Now that I've seen that gold job you did on the Greco bass, fewph, I'm Smitten.
Thanks sambonee, you're welcome over any time.

I've done the math on a number of sample pieces, I have about 60 so there's a good range of weights with some very light stuff.

Using this material I'm thinking I could find pieces to make finished guitars that weigh in between 6.25 and 7.75 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know that Greco bass. Well would this stuff make a nice Lp jr wrap bridge ?? It's also a slab construction.
That's a good question, my experience is that like Pine it makes a snappy Tele, which is ideal for a guitar like a Tele, but I'm not sure how that translates to a bass.

One thing I noticed about that Greco is that it's quite an articulate instrument, no mud relatively speaking. That may not be surprising thinking about the bridge and it's mini-humbucker type pup, but even the mud-bucker in the neck is quite clear and articulate for a bass.

Because even the neck pup was pretty clean, I'm thinking the weight of construction and the materials maybe be more responsible than are the pups , so if that's case using the Fir for the body and a really dense Mahogany for the neck may be a good combo and produce a nicely responsive instrument... I did measure up that Greco and have mdf templates traced out because I do plan on making one at some point, THB I was thinking a short scale version would be a killer little guitar.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Oh yes. Short scale special sauce lettuce cheese.

I was mainly referíng to how the bass and your adquisición of this wood got me thinking of a LP JR D.C.

think of that guitar built out of fir and mahog!!! Wowaza

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
Score! ............. understatement.

·
A Nice Man
325 Posts
I've got Doug Fir envy. I've been using it for acoustic guitar tops for a few months--it's almost smack in the middle of spruce and cedar, tonally. Great score!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts