The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,123 Posts
I had a 64 VV for a short time. Sounded amazing, just way too loud for home use for me.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on the new ax. I really dig those smaller bodied Rickenbacker guitars.

W.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Sweet, lovely and I wish I had one. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
The best Ric 12 string IMHO because it offers a wider nut than the 300 series 12 strings. As a result it is very easy to play. Congrats!

·
Registered
24,395 Posts
One of the triumphs of Rickenbacker design is where the body shape allowed them to place the bridge and neck pickup. They squished the body shape such that the bridge sits over the hips of the body, rather than the waist, like an SG does. They also figured out how to mount the neck such that the neck pickup can sit closer to the end of the fingerboard, rather than having to sit a bit away from it to make room for the neck tenon, as on an SG. This allows for the neck and bridge pickups to sit farther away from each other, and provide better tonal contrast between the 3 pickup selections. As much as I like some of what SGs do, I was never thrilled with the manner in which the 3 pickup settings sounded too much like each other. The Rickenbacker gets past that and allows for a stronger bass.

I hope the neck is wide enough. I once tried a friend's vintage Ricky 360 12-string and was sorely disappointed by the unwieldiness of the neck. It was barely wide enough for 6 strings, let alone 12. I understood very quickly why Roger McGuinn's solo on Eight Miles High was so spazzy. It was simply difficult to be nimble on that neck. Fine for strumming but not for solos.

But that's a pretty piece you got there.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The best Ric 12 string IMHO because it offers a wider nut than the 300 series 12 strings. As a result it is very easy to play. Congrats!
Exactly. I think one of their 12 strings has a 1 5/8" nut. How do you fret something like that cleanly?

Reactions: Fox Rox

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
One of the triumphs of Rickenbacker design is where the body shape allowed them to place the bridge and neck pickup. They squished the body shape such that the bridge sits over the hips of the body, rather than the waist, like an SG does. They also figured out how to mount the neck such that the neck pickup can sit closer to the end of the fingerboard, rather than having to sit a bit away from it to make room for the neck tenon, as on an SG. This allows for the neck and bridge pickups to sit farther away from each other, and provide better tonal contrast between the 3 pickup selections. As much as I like some of what SGs do, I was never thrilled with the manner in which the 3 pickup settings sounded too much like each other. The Rickenbacker gets past that and allows for a stronger bass.

I hope the neck is wide enough. I once tried a friend's vintage Ricky 360 12-string and was sorely disappointed by the unwieldiness of the neck. It was barely wide enough for 6 strings, let alone 12. I understood very quickly why Roger McGuinn's solo on Eight Miles High was so spazzy. It was simply difficult to be nimble on that neck. Fine for strumming but not for solos.

But that's a pretty piece you got there.
Thanks Mark for the info. I never would have thought of looking for all those details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts