The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
when i saw the thread title, i thought "oh! someone finally figured out tonewood or double-reverse true-bypass"
gravity waves might be an awesome thing, but i don't know why. what is cool about being able to detect them? what can we know from it? i know there IS something. i just don't know what

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have never been able to detect them before. As near as I can tell (because I'd have to do some quick research first and have to pop put) there is a 4th dimension which we can now measure for the first time. We can know more about space and how it functions, and who knows what else.

I'm still amazed I had the wrong idea about gravity this whole time.

·
Premium Member
13,359 Posts
when i saw the thread title, i thought "oh! someone finally figured out tonewood or double-reverse true-bypass" gravity waves might be an awesome thing, but i don't know why. what is cool about being able to detect them? what can we know from it? i know there IS something. i just don't know what
There are a number of YouTube videos that may help. Right now there are some things that get in the way of in learning about the universe by studying electromagnetic waves - everything from radio waves to gamma rays. Gravity waves are not stopped by these things. For example, there is no way we "see" what happened up to 300,000 years after the big bang studying electromagnetic waves. The universe was so crowded light couldn't find a way out. However, gravity waves, are not stopped by this. Light waves and gravity waves are information. We could eventually learn something about the universe right up to the moment after the big bang. The technology is also very complex. It's not like looking through a telescope to see the Andromeda galaxy. Gravity waves can have a wave length as little as 1/1000th the diameter of a proton. Can you imagine the tech needed to do that. That's why Einstein never thought they could be measured. Right now we are not that much ahead of Galileo and his telescope when it comes to viewing gravity waves.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robert had a far better explanation than I did. The video I posted does a decent job as well IMO.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
We have never been able to detect them before. As near as I can tell (because I'd have to do some quick research first and have to pop put) there is a 4th dimension which we can now measure for the first time. We can know more about space and how it functions, and who knows what else.
Time is considered the 4th dimension as it is correlated with the other three physical dimensions. The faster you move through the 3 physical dimensions, the slower time moves from your perspective. It's like time and speed are at a balance. That's why it's referred to as the time-space continuum.

I also learned that I've spent my entire life misunderstanding how gravity applies to the earth (we are pushed down, not pulled down as I was taught/thought).
There is no down or up in space. I think of it more as a bowling ball in the middle of a bed. Gravity exerts a force that compresses/expands time-space and attracts things like the slope that bowling ball creates on the bed. Except in 3 dimensions, not 2 as the bed example shows.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HD, cheers for the explanations. The vid I linked said space pushes so I went with it hahah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts